Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Woman behind landmark case that legalised abortions in the US dies aged 69. Norma McCorvey, the woman whose landmark case led to abortion being legalised in the US, has died aged 69. McCorvey was represented under the pseudonym 'Jane Roe' in the now-historic Roe v Wade case in 1973.

In the 1990's, she switched sides, becoming an ardent abortion opponent, after becoming a reborn Christian. By the time that the Supreme Count decided the case, she had a 2 and a half year old daughter. She has a lesbian partner for 35 years. I think that you could say that she led a varied life.

I showed the Roe vs Wade movie to my university English class once. The gals all told me they thought she was disgusting because she hopped into bed with every man that asked her and even didn't have enough sense to take the pill. It was her own fault she was always getting pregnant, not the unborn kid's.

Actually, I read a Huffington Post article yesterday on how women were making appointments with their Doctors to get a 5 year IUD inserted.(they cost $1,000 out of pocket; without insurance). They expect birth control to be removed from any government sponsored health insurance. There is a 2-3 month wait for a new IUD, so a lot of women started making appointments after the election.

Bill Paxton, actor, died from surgical complications at age 61 and Juge Joseph Wapner, Judge on TV's People Court, died at age 97. I was interested in Bill Paxton' career because his grand father had started a high quality lumber yard in Kansas City. RIP to both of them.

• 2 weeks later...

New Zealand cartoonist Murray Ball has died at the age of 78 after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's disease.

Ball was best known for his long-running strip Footrot Flats, a skewed exploration of farm life seen through the eyes of a sheep dog.

The strip ran in newspapers across the world from 1976 until 1994, and even spawned a musical, an animated film and a theme park.