Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

6,500 Migrant workers have died in Qatar since the World Cup was awarded is a true statement, 6500 Migrant workers died constructing World Cup Stadiums is false.

There are over 2 Million migrant workers in Qatar working 60 hours a week, since the World Cup was awarded that is 2,000,000 x 12 x 60 x  52  or  74,888,000,000 manhours spent which is 11,520 manhours per fatality.

In the USA construction industry there are 10 fatalities per 100,000 per annum which equates to 10,000   52 x 40 or 20,800,000 manhours per fatality nearly 60% of Qatar figure.

USA does not have the Heat Index, the biggest killer of workers in the Middle East.

It may not come of a surprise but MORE migrant  workers  Die in Saudi, UAE and Kuwait, but since they are not holding a World Cup nobody gives a toss about them.

Honestly all this Hyperbole and fake wrath against Qatar makes me laugh. If people were really concerned about migrant workers in the Middle East they would question Saudi, UAE and Kuwait as well as Qatar, and concentrate on all projects and not just a few white elephant stadiums.

I can feel a misinformation argument coming on...

I posit - were the 6,500 deaths ascribed to workers construction activities in Qatar, really caused by construction activities?

Or were they really Covid deaths and the officials put "construction" on the death certificates, to make Qatar look good on the world stage and in the eyes of the WHO?

And I reckon there weren't 6,500, the true number was 6,501.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, Mekong said:

6,500 Migrant workers have died in Qatar since the World Cup was awarded is a true statement, 6500 Migrant workers died constructing World Cup Stadiums is false.

Agree probably misleading to link the two but makes a great headline.

6,500 may have died during the construction period but how many were related to "construction" will probably be never known

• 2 weeks later...

Pele 

Brazilian football legend Pele, arguably the greatest player ever, has died at the age of 82.

He is credited with scoring a world record 1,281 goals in 1,363 appearances during a 21-year career, including 77 goals in 92 matches for his country.

The only player to win the World Cup three times, lifting the trophy in 1958, 1962 and 1970, Pele was named Fifa's Player of the Century in 2000.
Link

Eveb people who don’t even follow football knew his name

Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo.  …    Not fit to tie Pele’s Laces.