Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

FA Porsche, designer of iconic 911 sports car, dies

_59531646_014446243-1.jpg

Now in its seventh version, the 911 is still recognisably FA Porsche's design

The designer of the iconic Porsche 911 sports car, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, has died at the age of 76.

FA Porsche first designed the model in the early 1960s.

The 911 first appeared in 1963, and the elegance and simplicity of its shape quickly made it a classic. It is now in its seventh version, and was recently voted one of the best cars of the twentieth century.

His grandfather, Ferdinand Porsche, designed the Volkswagen Beetle.

FA Porsche was in charge of the family firm's design department when he conceived the 911 as a replacement for its first model, the 356.

Classic

FA Porsche designed the company's iconic 911 model in the 1960s While it has undergone many technological changes since its inception, the 911 is recognisably still the same car today.

FA Porsche became the chairman of Porsche AG in 1990, and served in that role until 1993, helping to secure the company's future after sales fell in the late 1980s.

The company says FA Porsche died on Thursday in the Austrian city of Salzburg, but it has not revealed how he died.

He will be buried in Austria, and a memorial service will be held in Stuttgart, the city of his birth, and where the company is based.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a discussion tonight with a professor of biology and he said a lot of bullshit here. Chimps and bonobo share 99 % of DNA with humans.

Right -- chimps and humans are very close in DNA to each other, and closer to each other than either is to gorillas. But chimps' DNA is further from gorillas' DNA than humans' is. He might disagree with that point, but if he does, the part you mentioned doesn't contradict it.

http://williamcalvin.com/BrainForAllSeasons/img/gorilla-chimp-human.jpg

This is a pretty typical chart. You will find others out there that place humans on the opposite side, though if chimp DNA differs from that of gorillas more than humans' does, it seems as if humans are correctly placed in this chart here. Maybe you should talk with your friend and find out what exactly he thinks is total BS. I first read this in Jared Diamond's "Third Chimpanzee"--he's a pretty mainstream scientist, so I'd be surprised if this is a far-flung theory of his.

• 2 weeks later...

For American Football followers....pretty big former star is gone.

NFL legend Junior Seau found dead at his California home

TMZ first reported that retired NFL star Junior Seau was found dead Wednesday morning, and that the police were investigating after his housekeeper found the NFL legend with a fatal shotgun wound to the chest. He was 43 years old.

The report has been confirmed by the North County Times:

Pro football great and Oceanside sports legend Junior Seau has apparently committed suicide, found by a housekeeper with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to multiple sources.

Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood said he learned of the death from police Chief Frank McCoy.

Police responded to Seau's home on The Strand on Wednesday after receiving a call about a reported suicide. The San Diego County medical examiner's office said an investigator was sent to the scene.

If Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest, it is similar to the way former Chicago Bears great Dave Duerson ended his life. Duerson shot himself in the chest on February 17 -- the method used so that his brain could be examined for symptoms of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a trauma-induced disease common to NFL players and others who have received repeated blows to the head.

Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowler and 6-time First-Team All-Pro, was selected fifth overall in the 1990 NFL draft after an outstanding collegiate career at USC. He played with the San Diego Chargers through the 2002 season, spent 2003-2005 with the Miami Dolphins, and then signed with the New England Patriots in time for the 2006 season. In New England's perfect regular season of 2007, he played in all 16 games and started four. Seau first retires after that season, only to come back and play in 2008 and 2009 before finally leaving the NFL for good.

"I'm going to go surf," he told Showtime upon his January, 2010 retirement announcement. Whatever happens, I can honestly say, that that probably was my last game."

Seau is the eighth member of the Chargers 1994 Super Bowl team to pass. We will keep you updated on this story as more news is confirmed.

an Olympic Gold Medal Champion dies with 26!!

Norwegian Olympic Swimmer Dale Oen Dies

from wsj

STOCKHOLM—Alexander Dale Oen stood on top of a world championship podium less than a year ago, wiping away tears as the Norwegian national anthem played in triumph again, just three days after the country was rocked by a massacre by a right-wing extremist.

The swimmer became a symbol of resilience and resurgence in Norway with that victory, the country's first swimming world title at a time when it was in desperate need of something to cheer for.

On Tuesday, Norway was in mourning for him after he died suddenly from cardiac arrest during a pre-Olympic training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was 26.

Dale Oen, one of Norway's biggest medal hopes for the London Olympics, was found collapsed on his bathroom floor late Monday and was pronounced dead shortly afterward at Flagstaff Medical Center, Norwegian swimming federation President Per Rune Eknes confirmed to The Associated Press. He said it was still unclear what led to the cardiac arrest.

"We're all in shock," Norway Coach Petter Loevberg said in a statement released by the federation. "This is an out-of-the-body experience for the whole team over here. Our thoughts primarily go to his family who have lost Alexander way too early."

Hospital spokeswoman Starla Collins confirmed the death, but did not provide further details.

Dale Oen was won the 100 breaststroke at last year's world championships in Shanghai, three days after a bombing and shooting spree by Anders Breivik killed 77 people back home in Norway—including children at a summer camp.

Dale Oen dedicated the win to the victims of that massacre, pointing to the Norwegian flag on his cap after the finish to send a message to his countrymen back home.

"We need to stay united," he said after the race. "Everyone back home now is of course paralyzed with what happened but it was important for me to symbolize that even though I'm here in China, I'm able to feel the same emotions."

FINA, the world governing body of swimming, said it was shocked to learn of his sudden death, and lauded "his courage in Shanghai when shining in the pool immediately after the sad events that had taken place in Norway."

"He had given to media and fans an image of a brave and sincere athlete, paying a heartfelt tribute to his compatriots from the pool deck in China. His example had been one of the most vivid moments of those championships."

His death dominated the news in Norway on Monday, and Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said on Twitter that "Alexander Dale Oen was a great sportsman for a small country. My thoughts go to his family and friends."

The Norwegian team is holding a camp in Flagstaff ahead of the Olympics, and the federation said Dale Oen had only undergone a light training session on Monday, and also played some golf that day. But teammates became worried when the swimmer spent an unusually long time in the shower, and entered his bathroom when he failed to respond to their knocks on the door.

The federation said "they found Dale Oen laying partly on the floor, partly on the edge of his bathtub."

Team doctor Ola Roensen said he immediately began performing CPR until an ambulance arrived.

"Everything was done according to procedure, and we tried everything, so it is immensely sad that we were not able to resuscitate him," Roensen said. "It is hard to accept."

In his last tweet on Monday, Dale Oen said he was looking forward to going back home: "2 days left of our camp up here in Flagstaff, then it's back to the most beautiful city in Norway.. #Bergen."

Dale Oen was born in Bergen, Norway's second largest city, on May 21, 1985. He was the second son of Mona Lillian Dale and Ingolf Oen

George Lindsey, known as Goober Pyle, dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — George Lindsey, who made a TV career as a grinning service station attendant named Goober on “The Andy Griffith Show†and “Hee Haw,†has died. He was 83.

The Marshall-Donnelly-Combs Funeral Home in Nashville said Lindsay died early Sunday morning after a brief illness.

Lindsey was the beanie-wearing Goober on “The Andy Griffith Show†from 1964 to 1968 and its successor, “Mayberry RFD,†from 1968 to 1971. He played the same jovial character on “Hee Haw†from 1971 until it went out of production in 1993.

“America has grown up with me,†Lindsey said in an Associated Press interview in 1985. “Goober is every man; everyone finds something to like about ol’ Goober.â€

He joined “The Andy Griffith Show†in 1964 when Jim Nabors, portraying Gomer Pyle, left the program. Goober Pyle, who had been mentioned on the show as Gomer’s cousin, replaced him.

“At that time, we were the best acting ensemble on TV,†Lindsey once told an interviewer. “The scripts were terrific. Andy is the best script constructionist I’ve ever been involved with. And you have to lift your acting level up to his; he’s awfully good.â€

In a statement released through the funeral home, Griffith said, “George Lindsey was my friend. I had great respect for his talent and his human spirit. In recent years, we spoke often by telephone. Our last conversation was a few days ago … I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say, ‘I love you.’ That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. ‘I love you.’â€

Although he was best known as Goober, Lindsey had other roles during a long TV career. Earlier, he often was a “heavy†and once shot Matt Dillon on “Gunsmoke.â€

His other TV credits included roles on “MASH,†â€The Wonderful World of Disney,†â€CHIPs,†â€The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour,†â€The Real McCoys,†â€Rifleman,†â€The Alfred Hitchcock Hour,†â€Twilight Zone†and “Love American Style.â€

Reflecting on his career, he said in 1985: “There’s a residual effect of knowing I’ve made America laugh. I’m not the only one, but I’ve contributed something.â€

He had movie roles, too, appearing in “Cannonball Run II†and “Take This Job and Shove It.†His voice was used in animated Walt Disney features including “The Aristocats,†â€The Rescuers†and “Robin Hood.â€

Lindsey was born in Jasper, Ala., the son of a butcher. He received a bachelor of science degree from Florence State Teachers College (now the University of North Alabama) in 1952 after majoring in physical education and biology and playing quarterback on the football team.

After spending three years in the Air Force, he worked one year as a high school baseball and basketball coach and history teacher near Huntsville, Ala.

In 1956, he attended the American Theatre Wing in New York City and began his professional career on Broadway, appearing in the musicals “All American†and “Wonderful Town.â€

He moved to Hollywood in the early 1960s and then to Nashville in the early 1990s.

“There’s no place in the United States I can go that they don’t know me. They may not know me, but they know the character,†he told The Tennessean in 1980.

At that time, he said the Griffith show “was the first soft rural comedy with a moral.â€

“We physically and mentally became those people when we got to the set.â€

He did some standup comedy — ending the show by tap and break dancing.

One of his jokes:

“A football coach, holding a football, asks his quarterback, ‘Son, can you pass this?’ The player says, ‘Coach, I don’t even think I can swallow it.’â€

Lindsey devoted much of his spare time to raising funds for the Alabama Special Olympics. For 17 years, he sponsored a celebrity golf tournament in Montgomery, Ala., that raised money for the mentally disabled.

The University of North Alabama awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1992, and he was affectionately called “Doctor Goober†by acquaintances after that.

Funeral arrangements were still being made.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Still cant quite believe he was younger than my sister, but the timelines sorta line up. She was only two years older, but had no interest in anything newer than Elvis .....

I loathed the disco era, particularly Saturday Night Fever, but the Bee Gees blazed a trail long before the current crop of Aussies set up shop in LA and environs. 62 is too young.