Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Yet I have met opium smoking old men in Burma who look like they are not planning on going anywhere. We are talking men who have used opium for 40-50 years.

Friend once told me that the cure for the common cold can be found in a shot of heroin......not sure how much truth is in that.

Supposedly, the raw opium they smoke is much safer than refined heroin. :dunno:

Back in the pre-commie days, there was a deadly kind of heroin in Laos called "gai". It was supposed to be cheap, but it killed its users in just a few years. It destroyed their nervous system, which is how it got its name. After a while, the addicts would sort of shuffle along with their head bobbing like a chicken's.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't post that, since I figured no one but older Yanks would even know who she was. She was a big name in my grandparents generation, but she was another kid star who never could make it back to the top when she got older. The most she accomplished was as the hostess of a kid's TV series. I also remember her disastrous run for Congress in California, when she failed to get elected even though California had a movie star for a governor (Reagan) and a tap dancing ex-movie star for a Senator (George Murphy). Maybe voters felt that also having an ex-child star as a Member of the House simply was too much.