Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Damn, one of our own gone ... Tim Randall, aka Baron Bonk. For some reason, I'd been thinking about Tim lately. Last time I saw him was a few years ago at the Queen Vic pub, when he visited from the Philippines. I used to write for him, and he included me in some of his nights on the town.

RIP, old friend. I'll raise a wine glass in your memory.

post-98-0-27536000-1448082613_thumb.jpg

http://www.stickboyb...nk-passes-away/

And the real Stickman remembers ...

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2015/Bangkok-Expat-Bar-Areas.htm

I met Tim at the Nanaplaza meetings, as did many of us. He liked my writing, so he asked me to write for his magazine. We turned out to have a lot of common interests, so he added me to his "social circle". He knew a university lecturer could hardly afford the places he liked, so gentleman that he was, he always picked up the tab.

Tim had lost a foot to diabetes when he was in his 50s, but it didn't slow down his drinking. He did the Baron Bonk website, plus several Thai oriented magazines, and above all was a passionate connoisseur of fine wines. (He and Sir Peter Graham Moon made the news in The Nation when they once spent over 60,000 baht just on wine at lunch. Sir Peter was the inspiration for Baron Bonk, though he's actually a baronet.)

Tim was landed gentry from Bedford, went to all the proper schools and was encouraged to go into UK politics. Instead, he ran a pub and worked in publishing. He'd moved to the Philippines some years ago, saying he'd grown tired of the Thai immigration hassles and the ridiculous import duty on wine. The last time I saw him was a few years ago at the Queen Vic pub near the end of Soi Cowboy, when he emailed me to join him for dinner when he came on a visit.

A lunch or evening out with Tim was always an adventure. I learned not to leave my wine glass empty. (First time we met, we went to lunch at 12.30 and didn't finish until nearly midnight. I was lucky to manage to stagger to the BTS in time to catch the last train of the day.)

I suppose he knew he wasn't gone to reach a ripe of age, since he held a big dinner for his 60th birthday. I was honored by being the only "colonial" invited.

RIP, Tim. And thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Flash

My take on Tim, Silver Spoon in mouth Born bore, whom thought the world owed him a living because of who's his family were, from my info (never trust my sources I don't) he buggered off to PI when his madcap rubber plantation scheme in Thailand went tits up

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just finished watching the documentry where he heads back to South Africa.

Was thinking to myself because of his condition it must put a huge strain on his health.

After being a special guest for the just completed Rugby WC I am wondering if it took it's toll on him...... :dunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5EWU2pcsgY