Questions about organ donating in LOS

allistar

This concerns my wife's uncle, who was in a motorcycle accident a little over a week ago and hit his head hard enough to give little hope for recovery. He is in a hospital in Lampang (presumably one for thais without much money). His doctor has talked with my wife's mother and sister about using his heart and possibly other organs once the plug is pulled and he dies. At first, the mother refused but has changed her mind. My question is how do Thai hospital decide who gets the heart. Do they sell it or does it go to a thai with excellent health insurance, leaving out ordinary thais from the waiting list (or is it done like in the west, strictly on need/waiting list)? I believe, from talking to my wife, that the wife and sister have talked to the hospital and his debt to the hospital will be forgiven in exchange for the donation. Is this normal in this kind of instance? I wouldn't even begin to guess what the bill is, after 8-9 days in intensive care. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Suggest that you direct your inquiry/concerns to:

Mr. James Matthew Banner serves as Chief Executive Officer at Bumrungrad International Hospital, Bangkok. Mr. Banne served as Chief Executive Officer at Bumrungrad Hospital Public Co. Ltd. Mr. Banner served at BUPA Health Care Asia (previously VISTA). He served as Chief Executive Officer and Director of Subang Jaya Medical Center. Mr. Banner holds Master’s Degree in Health Services Administration from Medical College of Virginia, USA.

Can do via telephone or email (attn. him) Tel: +662 667 1265

Fax: +662 667 1299

Email: bil@bumrungrad.com

My experience in getting questions answered rather quickly from Bumrungrad has been excellent.

HH

Guys, maybe a bit of respect and sympathy for the OP and his family who are losing a relative to an accident? Jeez.

AS for my posts, feel free to delete/edit those you find disrespectful/unsympathetic. They weren't meant in that vein.

HH

To cavanami:

Intensive care at Samitivej including doctors charges and all other charges for foreign non-residents (and they assume all foreigners are non-residents) whith insurance (again, they assume all foreigners have insurance) costs 50000 - 100000 Bt per day (thats fifty thousand to one hundred thousand)

do you know a foreigner who got the price of 6000-8000/d? Please let me know how he got that price.

Lampang provincial hospital will cost 1/7 of this price or less, so here cavanami is not far off the mark, esp. for a Thai patient.

To OP:

you are a bit naive:

"in the west, strictly on need/waiting list"

Wanna guess how Steve Jobs got his transplant?

Here, it's not just the money that counts, its connections. Of course, the rich tend to be better connected.

An example: if the Thai Red Cross has two units of a rare blood group (blood transfusions being the most common form of transplants), the next day zero units, the next day 2 units again and so on over a week or so... how come all these rare transfusions often end up at a patient who happens to be at Bumrungrad? And not one who is in Buriram Hospital?

But then they may just as well end up in Chula, and there they have all kinds of patients...

Archived