Investing in ETF's?

kamui

A recent research in Germany concluded that 60% of all actively managed stock market fonds did make less money than the DAX in the past 5 years. Other say than in a longer span of time like 10 years funds are even much worse. For two reasons: the fee for investors are going up and the fonds managers are mostly nonstarters.

Therefore some say it is much better to invest in stock indexes, Exchange-traded funds ( ETF's), which simply mirror the stock markets.

The fees for ETF's are very low and the long term gain is much better (crashes like in 2008 aside of course).

What do you think about ETF's? And which ETF's might be the best at the moment?

Yes,they are a lot cheaper to run,so its just a matter of buying them at the right time/price level,thats where it gets complicated :hubba:

Which means, I'll have to wait until the next major crash.

When did you say it will happen? :content:

I think the consensus at the moment is there wont be a major crash in the near future as long as the US continues to support the markets with QE and low interest rates .Even events such as the Jap. earthquake and the Mid-east unrest didn`t` dent confidence very much.The downside is inflation which appears to be on an upward trend.....

• 2 weeks later...

" What do you think about ETF's "

Mostly good things, but be careful with stop loss orders, many ETFs reacted disastrously during the flash crash and several similar issues have occured since may 2010 with ETFs. Definetely research this topic if you don't want to be butchered by a combination of flash crash and stop loss order.

" And which ETF's might be the best at the moment?"

No clue, but I'm long a few markets. As of QE, the number 2 is ending in June and it's not clear yet what the Fed will do afterwards, although market seems confident the Fed will keep on supporting the market. But market crashed at the end of QE1, I would be careful not to invest too much new money right now in the market, at least not at once.

If you are not familiar with ETFs offerings, you might start with giving a look at Vanguard's . The company has a very good reputation and offers a large selection of ETFs at some of the lowest costs available.

Per my financial news letter...Iran and Saudi are in deep do-do. With the political situation is both these countries the way it is, the price of oil could be $300/barrel when the shit hits the fan in that part of the world.

Expect QE2 to end and the US Federal Reserve to increase interest rates, putting the squeeze on loans and money going out, which will worsen the current depression.

Next month will be an indication of how bad things may get...

The ETF that indexes thai stocks "iShares MSCI Thailand Invest Mkt Index (THD)" is up almost 60% over the last year, and YTD is at 10.69%.

Wait till Thaky wins.

What's your prediction if Takky wins?

On the other hand, what will happen, when a certain person will leave the earth?

Archived