ATT: NEWBIES..... "Private Dancer"

Hi!

Flashermac

quote:

Maybe I'm just odd, but I don't really give a damn about reading about Thai bars. If I want to go to one, I go. If I don't, I stay home ... and maybe read about something else.

If I lived in BKK I would probably agree. However when the cold and darkness comes over the northern lands it makes it easier to stay away frome the emergency room for mental problems.

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, Private Dancer is the definitive piece on Bangkok nightlife and is far better than any other info found anywhere else, either in print or on the 'net.

It took an extroidinarily good writer with some experience in the nighlife industry to write this. I doubt we will get anything as good as Private Dancer released in quite a while.

I agree that this is absolutely compulsory reading. (And all of Steve's other books are damned good too)

Stick

I loved the book. Thought it was very well written, and although the characters were extreme, we should remember that it was a work of fiction. Leather himself admitted that.

I went away from the book with a feeling that yes the scene is all about money - but why look for anything else? Why not accept the realities that it's about money and just have a whole lot of fun.

The only thing I liked about the book was the first person format. Other then that, the writing was juvenile, the characters simplistic, and the story so stereotypical. The main character (Pete?) got exactly what he deserved. He never tried to look at anything except through his western eyes. Never tried to see the other person?s viewpoint.

I guess I did like the ending.

I don't care for his style of writing It reminds me of Robin Cook- "He went to store. He bought some bread. He went home. He made a sandwich. There was a knock on the door. He opened door. A shot rang out., etc". But like Robin Cook, Leather has good stories, it is just irritating to read them

Koh Marco wrote;

went away from the book with a feeling that yes the scene is all about money - but why look for anything else? Why not accept the realities that it's about money and just have a whole lot of fun.

Too many instances of freebies, or jealousy or whatnot to be just about money, IMO. Real prostitutes are not jealous, and they certainly do not flirt for nothing. maybe it is in BKK, but in pattaya i find it a lot more fun than just sex, and also a lot more fun than money too. maybe it's my turn to be in a minority...

I followed the link from the old board, and read Private Dancer several times.

My initial thought was, there but for the grace of God go I. It had everything I love and dread about the scene.

I absolutely loved it overall, and would isue it with the visa application form for all newbie sanukers.

Soiman

Great piece of writing from Mr Leather, although I doubt it would be a wise idea to publish this particular piece of his autobiography.

I’ve read the book and was not that impressed with it I taught it was depressing taking the worst case scenarios and putting them all together if I was a newbie coming to Thailand and someone told me to read this it would put doubts in my mind about going.

I was hooked when I read it, but on reflection found it disappointing compared to his other stuff. I thought the insight into the Thai attitudes was good though, either something Farangs ignore or dont care about.

As for being required reading I'm not so sure, I certainly dont think it should be published on the open market, I cant see it doing anything for the Thai tourist or bar industries.

"cant see it doing anything for the Thai tourist or bar industries"

- this is bad? Why not encourage all the negative publicity to keep away the competition!

Some good points here, good critisism, but I still loved the book. If a lot of worse case scenarios can help keep someone as thick headed as myself out of trouble, not such a bad thing!

Archived