Let Battle Commence

Mekong

... In the old days, let's say only 100 years ago you would have been seen as a bit nutty if you drank water, it was far more likely to have a pint of beer for breakfast - indeed it was considered a foodstuff. I like to carry on the tradition, lol.

I highly recommend "Drink - A Cultural History of Alcohol", by Iain Gately, if you want a light read on the subject.

After reading your post, I was about ready for a nightcap, but it occurred to me that :hmmm: in the old days, life expectancy was much lower. Excessive drinking could have contributed to their early demise. :unsure:

After reading your post, I was about ready for a nightcap, but it occurred to me that :hmmm: in the old days, life expectancy was much lower. Excessive drinking could have contributed to their early demise. :unsure:

You want to live forever? Besides their early demise was more likely oweing to malnutrition or disease. If you want I can establish a causal link - but why bother? I am a doctor, a surgeon in fact - and I can safely say that a drink or two won't harm you - there is perhaps evidence your tipple could even make you healthy - especially wine. So yes, by all means; I approve of your nightcap. Cheers!

You want to live forever? Besides their early demise was more likely oweing to malnutrition or disease. If you want I can establish a causal link - but why bother? I am a doctor, a surgeon in fact - and I can safely say that a drink or two won't harm you - there is perhaps evidence your tipple could even make you healthy - especially wine. So yes, by all means; I approve of your nightcap. Cheers!

During civil service (instead of going to the army) I had to take care of old men (chronically ill or dying) at their homes and one highlight of the day for them was a glass of schnaps (hard liquor). My boss always said that it's good for blood flow.

As always with this stuff: in low doses healthy, in high doses toxic...

PS: I wasn't really suited for the job and when I returned to the nursery station I always needed Sherry or something like this.

Where I used to work, anything over six drinks per week was considered heavy drinking. That's less than one drink per day. The last time a Doc addressed my alcohol comsumption, he said: one glass of champaign on New Years Eve :xmascheer

Interesting fact from my copy of "Drink - a cultural history" and I just love facts like this - 'The act of renouncing alcohol absolutely and forever acquired a name - teetotalism. The neologism was coined by Richard Turner, a man with a stutter, at a meeting of the Preston Temperence Society in 1833. Converts to abstinence at such events were in the habit of making a public pledge, and Turner stood up before the audience and declared "the he would 'Be reet down out-and-out t-t-total for ever and ever." -

Working-class organizations favored dramatic meetings, at which individuals about to renounce the demon drink would stand up and confess their failings before making a tearful promise never to touch liqour again. Such performances had parallels with evangelical Christianity; The drinker played the lost soul, who had seen the light and found the path to redemption, in the manner of the apostle Paul en route for Tarsus. This secular impersonation of religious enlightenment alarmed the clergy, who tended to belong to middle-class temperance societies, and they reacted by preaching against mistaking sobriety for Grace.

I just find all that incredibly fascinating.

Where I used to work, anything over six drinks per week was considered heavy drinking. That's less than one drink per day. The last time a Doc addressed my alcohol comsumption, he said: one glass of champaign on New Years Eve :xmascheer

I guess jesus and the Apostles were all heavy drinkers.........

Maybe that is where we get it from?

There are parts of the Bible that condemn drunkenness.

“For the drunkard and the glutton will become poor, and grogginess will clothe [them] in rags†(Proverbs 23:21).

“Let us walk with decency, as in the daylight: not in carousing and drunkenness…†(Romans 13:13).

“Do not be deceived: no sexually immoral people, idolaters… [nor] drunkards… will inherit God’s kingdom†(1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

“Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar, about which I tell you in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God†(Galatians 5:19-21).

“An overseer, therefore, must… not [be] addicted to wine†(1 Timothy 3:2-3; see also Titus 1:7).

“Deacons, likewise, should… not [be] drinking a lot of wine†(1 Timothy 3:8).

“And don’t get drunk with wine, which [leads to] reckless actions, but be filled with the Spirit†(Ephesians 5:18).