Let Battle Commence

Mekong

Very interesting outcome & story behind it.

Surely life insurance is not the wisest investment in LOS, but then again if why not :hubbahubba:

When dead or divorced or when one really see the true colors of ones other half so I must say I admire Mekong quiete a bit for his restraint & coolness.

Seems the golden buddha is certainly smiling his way too :)

Well see you around sometimes.

Cheers!

When he said ... "I do." :p

Before that, more than likely the first date!

Joking asides, it was my heavy drinking which led to Alcoholism, something I am not proud of but also something I would never deny happend. She could not tolerate my excessive drinking at the time but rather than try to help me all she did was nag all the time until she decided she had had enough when I was working overseas in Europe and threw me out lock stock and barrel.

It was when I returned to Thailand that I decided to do something about it and turn my life around and ironically the ex-wife during the proceedings saw me sober and decided she wanted to have me back "give it another go" there is no way I would have contemplated going back to her after what she put me through I am better off without her. I turned my life around without her and will continue to live it as such.

Don't get me wrong, I am no teetotaler who looks down his nose and sneers at people who drink, hey I still enjoy a night out and a few beers but the difference now is the fact that I can control the alcohol where as before for many years I allowed the alcohol to control me. I am not the first guy it has happened to and without doubt not the last, at least I was able to salvage and resurrect my career.

• Like 2

I give Mekong all the credit in the world.

I gave up the drinking for 6 years.

Cost me a good wife I had, money and a few jobs.

Was off the stuff for 6 years. Every now and then I have a few. Not a whole lot like before..

Rebuilding took time and getting the trust back from certain people and contracts.

Good Luck and Congrats again Mekong

Congratulations, Mekong. Hopefully, you meant to say you were able to salvage and resurrect your life, and not just your career.

Cheers dean,

But of course salvaging and resurrecting my life is a net result of getting my career back on track they tend to go hand in hand. It is rather ironic that I am now back in the same Engineering house in Thailand that "Let me go" four years ago, inside I knew the reason why my contract was not renewed but it was never mentioned but this time I am back as the Client representative so now my old boss is reporting to me, gotta love it when life turns full circle.

Passingthru69,

You are so correct in what you say about rebuilding trust and reputation, I know I definitely burned a lot of my bridges, 30 years of such can be destroyed in six months and even though one is clean who is going to give you a chance again? I got Lucky and someone gave me my chance. My main boss now is based in Houston TX and he was concerned about things being said out of the Madrid office about me, I was working in Madrid when the ex-wife told me it was over and it did effect me hard I went on 2-3 day benders then turned up at the office next morning still pissed, I did not give a good representation of myself. I told him straight what had happened and how I had returned to Thailand and put myself into Detox and his reply was

"I Don't care about your past, you are not the first and no doubt not the last, I have been down a similar road myself years ago and was given another chance, You blitzed the interview and your resume is head and shoulders above the other candidates, there are only two other people in the company know and as long as you are OK now it won't be a problem and will never be mentioned"

So I have been given another chance and there is no way I am going to blow it this time. The crazy thing is was the fact that I was a functioning alcoholic, I could pass judgement and make decisions as good as or better than the next man and I got the majority of my calls spot on, in fact all of my previous employers have no problem with issuing a Technical Reference for me, but they won't issue a personal reference :)

PT,

From what I have read of your posts over the past few years you have turned your life around, you short term loss has become your long term gain, come on mate how many truckers in the States are hauling rigs across country with their Thai wife by there side who actually takes an interest in your work and enjoys being with you, not many I bet.

So in return, hats off to you for turning your life around and long may it continue, nobody realises what a dark deep abyss alcoholism is until it is too late and it takes a strong mind and willpower to get out of that hole, not many of us can do it but sure as hell I want to be one of the minority just like yourself.

Kong

Jesus! And here I was thinking my life was complicated! Woeful - well you've got my sympathy.

If I'm working, which is getting rarer these days I don't touch a drop of alcohol. On my days off yeah I'll go on a two or three day binge, something like that. I think it's part of our heritage to drink. In the old days, let's say only 100 years ago you would have been seen as a bit nutty if you drank water, it was far more likely to have a pint of beer for breakfast - indeed it was considered a foodstuff. I like to carry on the tradition, lol.

I highly recommend "Drink - A Cultural History of Alcohol", by Iain Gately, if you want a light read on the subject.

Edited by panadolsandwich