Australians appalled by Indonesian slaughterhouse footage

gobbledonk

pretty ordinary.... plus live exporting costs Aussies thousands of jobs in abattoirs, boning rooms, etc. We should insist on selling the finished product (and making more money off it) instead of simply exporting so much primary product.

Most of these animals seem to be sub standard. I remember the sheep exports to the middle East when it started, the sheep were mainly aging wethers from the wool industry that farmers virtually gave away to fertilizer and pet food works. When they started getting good money they couldn't believe their luck (the farmers, not the sheep), it was like money for old rope.

I'm listening to a lot of idiots here in Aussie saying they're only animals, what does it matter.

Strangely enough they are all the same people who so strongly oppose immigration from places like Indonesia because "their values are different from ours".

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen the "sheep ships" pull into to Bahrain and the sheep are packed on to them, shoulder to shoulder!

That has been one of the big arguments put forward by the animal rights lobby for banning live exports outright - that the trip itself is just as inhumane as the slaughter.

Re. the other point that 'anyone with an ounce of compassion seeing the inside of a slaughterhouse would be put off meat', the industry is claiming that domestic consumption is already down 10%. The Meat and Livestock Board (I think thats what they are called) reportedly backed the ban on live exports on the basis that any more footage potentially damaged the local industry, and I suspect thats worth a lot more than $360 million annually.

No question that this will screw over farmers and their families, and others involved in the industry, but the blame should rest with the people who knew it was happening (just as they knew about similar problems with sheep in the Middle East 2 years ago) and did nothing. Of course spineless pollies and bureaucrats over-reacted, and no-one should be surprised that the rights activists are pushing for a permanent ban : the farmers need to ask the people who were responsible for overseeing the trade how the fuck they thought this could go on forever.

Getting back to the doco, the producers claim that they have footage which they simply couldnt put to air, and I can only assume it will come to light on the Net at some stage. What stuns me is that, apparently, the workers allowed Lyn White, an infidel female with a camera crew, into their workplace to film numerous acts of cruelty. The ABC got a very different reaction when they went back to the abattoirs, but the fact that no-one in management felt the need to exclude a Bule film crew just boggles the mind.

When I was a kid, mum used to chop the heads off our chooks, with the inevitable result that one of the headless bodies would run under the house and prove remarkably hard to retrieve, pissing her off. We would sit on the back step, laughing at the sight of a large woman with an axe chasing a headless chook - to many people, that will seem like a very callous attitude, but we didnt know any better and they were just, well, chooks. I can only *assume* that many of the workers in that abattoir dont make the leap from poultry to mammals. That, or they are all sociopaths.

meat is murder--and murder tastes good!

Then what does that say about PUSSY, Phil ? :drool:

If you told me as a child that I would one day long to put my head between a girl's legs, I would have run home screaming. In the case of some Farang women, that still holds true. ;)

Archived