Finally: Thai gets cabin upgrades

kamui

From a German Thai forum I know that in recent years many travelers switched to Emirates and similar airlines, since those airlines are much cheaper and while offering in-seat entertainment in eco-class.

THAI making jets more passenger-friendly

Thai Airways International has begun making its old wide-body aircraft more passenger-friendly in a 5-billion-baht makeover aimed at arresting [color:red]sagging customer appeal[/color].

The flag carrier yesterday unveiled the first of the 20 high-capacity long-haul jetliners, a Boeing 747-400, fitted with improved economy-class seats equipped with individual TV screens and an upgraded in-flight entertainment system.

The lack of individual screens in economy class in most old aircraft - a standard feature on most other airlines for a long time - has caused THAI to lose economy passengers to rival airlines.

THAI flights to London and Frankfurt have featured more empty seats at the back as passengers opted for other airlines offering individual screens and better audio-video packages, president Piyasvasti Amranand pointed out yesterday.

BKK Post

coss, when you think about it, if they still have the same FAs they had in the 80s and 90s, that would explain a lot of the sagging !

I didnt mind my last flight with TG, but the biggest surprise for me was BA last August. After years of reading about what a totally crap airline they were, I got on with very low expectations to find that everything from the food to the FAs was better than our budget carriers on the same route. If Jetstar could legally sell 'standing room only' flights to Asia, they would ....

"sagging customer appeal"

Now if they'd only do something about the sagging air hostesses, they'd be onto a winner, like they used to be in the '80s and '90's

:)

They do and they are in hot water for it:

Thai Airways enforces waistline restriction for aircrew

AsiaOne | Tue, Mar 1 2011

Flight crew have lodged a complaint against Thai Airways for new rules enforcing a waistline maximum of 81cm if you want to be a stewardess with them.

The airline wants their crew to maintain their waistlines at a maximum of 32 inches (81cm) for stewardesses and 35 inches (89cm) for stewards.

Link

Haven't flown with Thai Airways in a few years but I always liked them when I did because they flew direct, the seats had quite a bit of leg room compared to other airlines and they didn't charge you for changing the date of your return flight, which other airlines did, something I often made use of.

The lack of individual screens in economy class didn't really bother me.

The cute hostess eye-candy was an added bonus.

Haven't flown with Thai Airways in a few years but I always liked them when I did because they flew direct, the seats had quite a bit of leg room compared to other airlines and they didn't charge you for changing the date of your return flight, which other airlines did, something I often made use of.

The lack of individual screens in economy class didn't really bother me.

The cute hostess eye-candy was an added bonus.

Actually Thai's has a larger leg room than all airlines I've used in recent years.

Archived