Bars on Sukhumvit

beano

I know Thailand fairly well but haven't ventured out in Bangkok for a few years.

I have three good mates staying in Soi 11 for about a week and would like to suggest a few night spots within easy walking distance.

They are in their 60s and looking for something a little out of the ordinary having spent time in the PI.

I seem to remember Sheba's in Soi Cowboy was quite interesting, but like I said, my information is pretty dated.

A variety maybe... class, sleaze, pool/8ball, somewhere to take the girls to dance... yeah, yeah, I know, ask the girls... ;)

Oh, and another thing... the best steak in that area.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, a lot depends on what you consider interesting.

You've got all of Soi Cowboy a few blocks away.

You've got Gullivers, down on Soi 5. If you enjoy watching some SERIOUSLY good 8-ball shooting, the girls shooting pool there would be tournament-grade anywhere in the US. The food at Gully's is good enough.

I don't look for farang food when I'm in Bangkok. (I get the Charlie Brown fix, because they're some of the best Tex-Mex I've found ANYWHERE.)

Bar 4 down on Soi 4 is starting to sound pretty good.

I think Q-bar is on the far end of Suk Soi 11 from Suk. Bed Supper Club is supposed to be VERY good food, but is (to my feeling, at least) pricey as hell.

There used to be a dance club in the Ambassador Hotel parking garage. Some BGs from Nana Plaza took me there on Girls Night Out, several years ago. (Very interesting evening!)

There's the seafood place (indoor/outdoor), on Suk Soi 11, about a block off Suk. Good food the one time I ate there.

I can't really recommend Nana Plaza these days. I'll still visit there, see what I can find in the beer bars, but I've had a few too many less than stellar experiences, from places that used to be absolutely reliable for good times.

the park is over bout soi 12....lolita's on soi 8 , which is directly across suk from soi 11.For dancing and whores Soi 11 has Q Bar , Bed/Sup and garage area of Ambassador is entrance to Climax. Q&BS close at 0200 and when the Mib are nice , Climax will be opened till about 0500.

There's also some decent restuarants on soi 11 including 2 outdoor places with evening jazz music. And Hillary 4 for drinks and pool , decent bar food there.

Late night alot of ladyboys roaming the soi and minibar's galore serving till the clubs close.

:beer:

Soi 4 for the girls - daytime early evening - loads of beer bars. Then both Cowboy and Nana Plaza are close by if they want go-go action. Climax in the Ambassador on Soi 11 late at night if they are up for that, or Nana Liquid on Soi 4.

Very good food at the Old German Beerhouse on Soi 11 and very good Indian food at Mrs Balbirs in Soi 11/1. Italian at Pomodoro between Soi 9 & 11 on Sukhumvit is ok. Good Thai food on the corner of 3/1 and also Swan Bar deeper into Soi 4. Good food both Farang & Thai at Chequers on Soi 4.

If they want guidance when here send 'em round to me - more than happy to point them in the right direction.

Regards,

Mark

Soi 8 is the park. I think you mean soi 6.

I used to love soi 8 before it got bulldozed.

No, it is Soi 8, and it is a sub-soi (whatever they call that), but you can access it from both Soi 6 and Soi 8, there is a walkway through Crown Sukhumvit Hotel which straddles both Sois ... mind you, I was there last week and they are ripping up soi 6 which runs off Sukhumvit proper, not sure what the plans is, maybe dispense with the soi all together if they build something on those adjoining blocks each side of Soi 6 :beer:

Archived