one way ticket from oz to thailand??

belfastish

hey guys

planning to go thailand for 3months in december(worse time to buy a ticket:( )

i thai gf will finish her study here and she wants to go on a cheap airline.

i was wanting to go thaiairways as i can change my return date easily.

im now planning to do a one way,do you need a return ticket or if i get a visa for thailand before i leave one way is ok??

ive heard if you dont get entry to a country the airline have to pay to send you back and this is why they are so fussy.

cheers for any info

Yeah - I've read a few 'Loony Planet' style forums where backpackers are always trying to pull this off, and the consensus seems to be that its the airlines and not Customs who will refuse to let you on the plane without a return ticket. When you think of all the people who fly into Thailand from other parts of Asia on carriers like Air Asia, its laughable, but I guess the Thai Immigration people do have to spend money chasing visa overstays. An American teacher told me he hadnt renewed his work visa in over 2 years, and that he would only have to pay a hefty fine to leave the country. Given the horror stories I've read about the Immigration Jail, I couldnt believe how blase he was about it all.

Back to the ticket drama, one suggestion was that you should buy a refundable 'full service' fare for the return leg and cancel that when you arrive in country. I have absolutely no idea how that works out, but I assume that you forfeit the cancellation fee - still going to be cheaper than paying for a return fare with someone like Air Asia. Just make sure you read the fine print and try to get confirmation that you can cancel any such ticket - the LCCs wont give you a refund under any circumstances that I am aware of.

Here's the real deal and I'll post this once and not respond. If you are not a national or a resident of the country you are going, the rules are you MUST have an onward ticket leaving the country visited before the expiration of whatever type of visa you have. Bottom line and cannot be argued. What happens in real life, though, is different.

Back to the ticket drama, one suggestion was that you should buy a refundable 'full service' fare for the return leg and cancel that when you arrive in country. I have absolutely no idea how that works out, but I assume that you forfeit the cancellation fee - still going to be cheaper than paying for a return fare with someone like Air Asia. Just make sure you read the fine print and try to get confirmation that you can cancel any such ticket - the LCCs wont give you a refund under any circumstances that I am aware of.

The more expensive the ticket, the cheaper it is to cancel it. Just check the Thai Air website...

It shouldn't be a problem at all.

hey guys

planning to go thailand for 3months in december(worse time to buy a ticket:( )

i thai gf will finish her study here and she wants to go on a cheap airline.

i was wanting to go thaiairways as i can change my return date easily.

im now planning to do a one way,do you need a return ticket or if i get a visa for thailand before i leave one way is ok??

ive heard if you dont get entry to a country the airline have to pay to send you back and this is why they are so fussy.

cheers for any info

Why don't you just get any 20$ Airasia special out of thai and be prepared to throw it away if you have to :beer:

LCCT-Perth with AirAsia, 6K baht for travel in Sept/Nov : sure you have to book now, you wont get the money back, but that's 200 AUD and problem solved. Anyone hassles you in country (unlikely, IME) and, voila, you have a 'return ticket' - from past experience, AirAsia dont give a hoot if you dont make the flight.

http://www.airasia.com/th/en/promotion/rx0900911b.page

The refund suggestion is better financially, but I always seem to run into some kind of snafu with things like that - guess I'm just lucky.

Without knowing your status in OZ I would say you will not bet be allowed on the flight out without a return or exit ticket from LOS.

Agreed, but that is where the cheap flights between KL and BKK kick in. Its never been a problem for me, because I usually include Malaysia in my itinerary anyway. I have flown from LCCT into BKK without a return flight ticket - did it last year after my visa run to Penang. Only bought my flight back to Oz after I'd been back in BKK for over a month.

While I assume that Thai Customs do give you some leeway with a 3-month Tourist visa, its hardly a key to the city : in any case, neither AirAsia in Penang, Malaysian or Thai Customs seemed to give a hoot about whether or not I had a return ticket or more than 10 baht to my name. As with anything involving a bureacracy, esp air travel, its always subject to change.

Archived