CNNgo: Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes

kamui

Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes

Live shrimp, fermented oysters and red ants. Even Thais have trouble stomaching some of the country's most notorious delicacies

By Mark Wiens 16 June, 2011

Not all Thai food arrives at the table with a seductive appearance and sensational aroma. In fact there are quite a few dishes that not just foreigners but many Thais gag at the thought of eating.

But as disgusting as the majority may find them, even the most horrifying of dishes have devout fans who consider them a delicacy they fantasize about daily.

In honor of these culinary mavericks, here's a list of the most repulsive Thai dishes out there.

1. Goong Ten

Always wanted to know what it feels like to have tiny shrimp dance the cha-cha in your mouth? Try goong ten.

With a name that literally means "dancing shrimp," you'd better believe this dish is alive.

A frenzy-filled salad, goong ten is mixed in a metal bowl while the transparent little shrimp attempt in vain to wiggle their way to freedom.

Why some people love it: I'll be the first to admit that a spoonful of the dancing critters is both entertaining and delicious. After taking a bite, the shrimp rupture with saltiness and climax with a pleasant crunch.

2. Larb Leuat Neua

It's safe to say fans of this bloody dish aren't suffering from anemia. Diarrhea, on the other hand...

This dish basically consists of dull red raw beef embellished with sprigs of mint.

But since the beef is not bloody enough on its own, the salad is fortified with a thick dressing of extra raw blood.

It goes against what most of us consider common dining knowledge: it's not safe to eat raw beef mixed with uncooked blood.

Why some people love it: Nothing says manly like a spoon full of spiced blood paired with a nice big mug of ice-filled beer.

3. Som Tam Hoy Dong

Som tam hoy dong: Papaya salad with a revolting twist.

Whether it's the idea of eating fermented oysters soaked in blood red goop or the fear of eating a dish that is almost certain to result in a severe case of diarrhea, most foreigners and even quite a few Thais are reluctant to dine on som tam hoy dong.

Why some people love it: Judging by the fans of this dish that I've spoken with, the appeal of fermented oysters most likely develops in the early childhood years and sticks with them for life

Read more: CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/thailands-13-most-repulsive-dishes-242509#ixzz1PQHcHH71

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article, I feel, is 'oversensationalised'. Fine, to some durian smells like rotten socks, but then again many varieties of cheese do emit odours some people find discomfort with.

I happen to like 'black egg', it is a typical Chinese New Year item and is served with preserved ginger.

The guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about, or he would have included bull's penis stew and shitty larp instead of horse piss eggs and durian, not to mention the Chinese noodle shops that fill up the bowl with assorted chunks of intestines and other innards in recognizable shapes. Like you, I love khai yiow mah, nothing revolting about it at all. And durian is no more offensive than Limburger or Liederkranz cheese, both of which I love.

I find these type of articles downright insulting. If Americans actually ate some of these dishes rather then saying 'yucky' (is the guy that wrote this article 12?), then perhaps they wouldn't be known as a nation of fat bastards. America your belly is too big.

I have eaten all these dishes, and the list isn't even that good because it glosses over what I would consider foods that would be more let's say regrettable (but this is a shitty article with little merit).

Here's a tip if you are in America - don't eat the beef, or any meat in fact. The cows cannabalise themselves, and are fed the remains of dogs, cats and whatever offal that can be scraped off the killing floor. Immigrant labour butcher the meat on minimum wage, often failing to eliminate the shit from the meat leading to e-coli contamination. The corporations don't deny this, they do deals with the government and the movie studios and the message is: stay fat and dumb America, lol.

But most Americans are too fucking pig ignorant to know. They'd rather eat cheap hamburgers and drink coke and mindlessly read articles like this where (thinking is pre-digested, so ironic that Americans need even their thinking to be so) they can pretend to be disgusted and self-satisfied. In God We Trust should be the mantra before you go to an American fast food restaurant - and may I add - may he have mercy on your soul - and your (let's face it) disgustingly fat belly (1).

(1) Rumour has it that Al-queda are developing a missile that can detect a BMI greater then 30 - a soft target if you will.

Archived