Joke across the US after bombing telling a joke to Dalai Lama

ozpharlap

Stefanovic's joke was: "The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop ... and says 'Can you make me one with everything?'."

THE Nine Network's morning TV host Karl Stefanovic is being ridiculed around the world having bombed trying to tell a lame joke to the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama, the leader of the Gelug branch of Tibetan Buddhism, failed to get Karl Stefanovic's lame joke and TV shows in the US, newspapers, news websites and blogs around the globe have been laughing at the Today show host's poor judgment.

Good Morning America (GMA), a high-rating morning TV program beamed into millions of households around the US, played the footage and then its five hosts, sitting on a couch, debated Stefanovic's judgment.

"Why would you even attempt that?" a perplexed GMA host Robin Roberts asked.

"Why would you even try?"

Roberts' co-host, George Stephanopoulous, described it as "the perils of live TV" and wondered why Stefanovic, after losing the Dalai Lama in the first telling of the joke, tried a second time.

Another GMA host, Josh Elliott, known for his sense of humour, went to Stefanovic's defence and declared: "You had to go for it."

The clip from Stefanovic's now infamous Today interview on the Nine Network was also aired on CNN, Fox TV and featured on the New York Times, Washington Post, Huffington Post and Newsday websites.

The New York Times headlined its story: "How Not To Tell the Dalai Lama a Joke".

Newsday asked its readers "Have you ever wondered what you would say to the Dalai Lama if you ever got the chance to meet him? One Australian newscaster clearly has not".

Newspapers and blogs across the Atlantic also had fun at Stefanovic's expense, with the UK's The Sun newspaper asking: "So is Stefanovic embarrassed by the gaffe? You'd Buddha believe it".

The spiritual leader was confused, looked for help from an interpreter, but eventually chuckled when Stefanovic, with his hand covering his face, sheepishly conceded "I knew that wouldn't work".

It is not the first time that Stafanoivc has put his foot in his mouth. He praised his wife"s "arse" in his acceptance speech when he won Gold and Silver Logies in April and, the next month, was said to have made an "arse" of himself on the flight to London for the Royal Wedding of Prince william and Kate Middleton.

Link

There is no way in the world the Yanks would get it. I thought it was funny but hey I am an aussie and let's face it our sense of humour is not always shared by the rest of the world.

That's an old joke, and only part of it as well. The whole one is:

[color:purple]Dalai Lama goes into a pizza parlor and says, "Make me one with everything."

The vendor makes the pizza and hands it to the Lama, who pays with a $20 bill.

The vendor puts the bill in the cash box and closes it. "Excuse me, but where's my change?" asks the Lama.

The vendor responds, "Change must come from within."[/color]

:rotl::rotl::rotl:

It's a pretty stupid joke, sort of first year university level humour. :dunno:

Yes, but that counts to, I had a little giggle, and the extended version was quite amusing as well ... I am beting he already knew the joke and was trying deadpan humour himself :beer:

It's a pretty stupid joke, sort of first year university level humour. :dunno:

The actual joke is not the funny part. It's the fact that he actually sat across from the Dalai Lama and attempted to tell him the joke I found ammusing :D

Bit like when the Chaser did the Osama Bin Laden stunt at APEC. I am sure there were a lot of people that didn't see the humour in that.

Archived