Forgot to Pay in Bar...

expat

..the chase-downs I've seen all ended in the farang in question (wisely) paying up and getting the hell out of there.

same. Seen it several times. Most have been a genuine mistake by the punter (too pissed), and going by the body language of him and the staff all is good and he pays up. Other times the punter has tried to do a sneaky, and appeared more pissed off that he got caught.

Never seen a beating though, but it's been a while since I visited.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha' date=' you got off easy...at so many bars, even where you might be a regular, the Thai thugs who hang out outside who fucking LIVE for the opportunity to beat the living fuck out of a troublemaking farang (and, to be fair, folks like our "Brit Brothers" give them plenty of reason to jump into action!!) won't miss a beat in their rush to part you with your teeth upon leaving the bar if you so much as forget to pay 80 baht for a coke, hahaha...[/quote']

In 23 years of drinking in Bangkok bars I have never witnessed this activity, which would suggest that it is very rare.

I've seen several chase-downs; never a beat-down (for running out on a check...I've seen Thai thugs kick the shit out of farangs plenty of times outside the bars for other stuff)...the chase-downs I've seen all ended in the farang in question (wisely) paying up and getting the hell out of there. Friends of mine have witnessed beat-downs over bill disputes. Just because you haven't witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

True, just because I haven't witnessed it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but also given the innordinate amount of time I have spent in the Thai bar scene without witnessing it does suggest that it is very rare, rarer probably than hens teeth!

I'd also have to say that, with just a very few exceptions, I haven't noticed the Thai thugs you refer to hanging around outside the bars.

Archived