Thai's Abroad Don't Admit Issan Roots

gawguy

When I ask Thai's in USA where they are from in TLand, they always say Bangkok. A lot of these work in Thai restaurants. C'mon! Most of these people are from Issan, aren't they?

Ashamed to admit it to foreigners? Certainly they can't lie to other Thai's because of accent.

Does anyone know about this?

GG

I know a US-resident Bangkok Thai who complains about most Thais she meets in the States. She says they criticise her for not using bad language and acting posh, presuming she is an ex-BG like them and is putting on airs. She is actually a second generation Thammasat grad and her sister is a well known lawyer. The ex-BGs seem to feel they are the only Thais who marry Farangs.

Also remember that about half of Bangkok's population today is from Issan. When I came to Thailand in the 1970s, Bangkok's population was just 3 million. It is now about 12 million, the newcomers largely from Issan. When they say they are from Bangkok, ask them where they were born. ;)

When I ask Thai's in USA where they are from in TLand, they always say Bangkok. A lot of these work in Thai restaurants. C'mon! Most of these people are from Issan, aren't they?

Ashamed to admit it to foreigners? Certainly they can't lie to other Thai's because of accent.

GG

I think Thais do this because 99% of the people who ask the question would not have a clue where anywhere else other than Bangkok is

[quote=Ckrisg

I think Thais do this because 99% of the people who ask the question would not have a clue where anywhere else other than Bangkok is

I ask the question in Thai, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm not talking about bar girls either, who have married farangs. I'm talking about Thai's who own or work in restaurants and small businesses in the USA. They seem to get an edge on when I ask nicely "where are you from in Thailand? Jangwat arrai, krap?" I haven't felt comfortable enough to ask where they are born, because they're already acting kind of stressed. (Because they're lying!?)I do that with women in TLand who say they're from BKK, no problem.

Almost everyone I meet in TLand is from Issan. No one in USA has ever told me they are from an Issan province. Why??

GG

I have noticed that.

I generally ask this one Issan woman living in the US if she has clean underwear on. She thinks I want to marry her.

Guest lazyphil

michael palin on his travel shows says he's from london when he's from sheffield.....my uncle was at school with him there!

thais here i speak to are never shy to say they come from issan, btw.

my daughters mum is from pakkret, all her family are from there or pathum thani, nakorn patom or nonthaburi.....i never saw the big deal until i started reading nanaplaza all those years ago!

Archived