Thai's Abroad Don't Admit Issan Roots

gawguy

When I ask Thai's in USA where they are from in TLand, they always say Bangkok. A lot of these work in Thai restaurants. C'mon! Most of these people are from Issan, aren't they?

Ashamed to admit it to foreigners? Certainly they can't lie to other Thai's because of accent.

Does anyone know about this?

GG

Must be a US thing, never had a Thai girl in Sydney or Brisbane not instantly say where they were from, even the Issan girls :beer:

michael palin on his travel shows says he's from london when he's from sheffield.....my uncle was at school with him there!

Must be the Palin genes....none of them are good in geography :)

BB

Doesn't say he was born in London, just that he resides there, as in "I'm from London". As if you ask a fellow national, "where ya from mate", you usually get the answer, for example, "from Brissie, but born in Sydney" :beer:

michael palin on his travel shows says he's from london when he's from sheffield.....my uncle was at school with him there!

Must be the Palin genes....none of them are good in geography :)

BB

I suspect they might be from the Kentucky area where almost anything is excepted till they get on in society and find out some things are just wrong. For example screwing your sister is not acceptable in normal society.

Its not just Thais. I knew a Shanghainese who didnt want anything to do with 'overseas Chinese' because she considered herself an 'Aussie'. She particularly didnt want to talk to anyone from Shanghai. I also had a Japanese GF from Osaka who seemed to consider Japanese who didnt come from that part of Japan to be somehow 'lesser beings' - she also blathered on about being 'Aussie now'. Finally, my personal favourite, a Malaysian Chinese girl who has lived here since pre-school and positively loathes Asians - she insists that she is 'only Chinese on the outside'.

Yep, these folk really have adapted to the 'Australian way of life'. Makes me so proud to see a whole new generation of xenophobes in our midst.

Archived