Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on this board ...

gobbledonk

Hi,

"Again, recently I haven't seen this very much, but when I do see 'respected' posters allowed free reign to act like jerks, it really makes the board less attractive to me. "

I agree, and I called those posters on it. As a result, some have left the board. Saddened by that, but I cannot allow people to disregard the rules.

This comes down to what I mentioned about long time members feeling they have more rights than others. They don't.

Sanuk!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

BTW, one more interesting thing re this issue. We *are* getting new members signing up on a regular basis, 1-2 day at least, but for some reason hardly any of them ever start posting.

Not even sure if they stick around much. Think I might be able to check that in the admin area; will have a look later.

Sanuk!

It could be that the era of telling everyone, everything, everywhere, is beginning to end, though with our aliases we should be comfortable that we have privacy.

I note that Facebook is beginning to lack growth.

Boards had their hay day. Back when we all started in the board, there was not much information out there. KS started one of the first boards and people got their information from it.. Unfortunately, this board just looks low tech-little graphics, forum menu shows very little information etc. The board has not changed much in looks and content since 1999 when I began on here but the rest of the internet has evolved 3x over in this time period. At the time when we all had dial up the low tech was very useful and was usable. Now I have 25 Mbps fiber optic download speeds which has no advantage on this board. It reminds me more of the old Gopher system back in university than a 2011 internet experience where I can download a HD movie in 12 minutes.

It's my guess that's why Old Hippie is gone now and it almost led to my departure from the board at one point.

Are you suggesting that he didn't flame people. He was one of the worst flamers on the board. He wouldn't accept any views that diverged from his, especially if they came from non Americans. He is the only poster that I have put on my ignore list.

He also used to flame newbies and accuse them of being trolls.

It's my guess that's why Old Hippie is gone now and it almost led to my departure from the board at one point.

Are you suggesting that he didn't flame people. He was one of the worst flamers on the board. He wouldn't accept any views that diverged from his, especially if they came from non Americans. He is the only poster that I have put on my ignore list.

Whatever.

Actually I will not increase the membership by talking negatively about retired(?) board members.

Whatever.

Actually I will not increase the membership by talking negatively about retired(?) board members.

I agree completely with that. If it is indeed possible to bring in new members it might be by answering their questions and trying to forget that we asked the same questions when we were newbies. I came to Thailand the first time in 1982 and still might need some information when I come back. There was a time when I might find some information on the board but time is long gone. E.g if I ask where in Bangkok bars I can see full frontal nudity I will most likely receive answers in the line of "Clad women are more exciting". Maybe if some posters would start to accept that the board is not theirs exclusively and other posters might have different views.

Furthermore I'm tired of reading endless posts about the USA. If I want to know anything about that country there is a plethora of information available on the net and other places.

Also I miss some intelligent posters like Fly, Suadam, DbSezAloah(sp?) etc. They were either banned or left theft the board because they were often responded with personal attacks.

I to don't post much anymore mainly because I see it as a waste of time as many responses are personal attack instead of adressing the actual issue.

regards

ALHOLK

I cannot recall he flamed me, and I am not an American ... and I am sure I have said all the dumb things along the way, still do so :beer:

Sometime you just have to have a thick skin, especially when you decide to enter these forum domains :beer:

I have my own suggestions as to what may improve the board, but it will take 1 or 2 bottles of port and a week to just crystallize my thoughts into coherent statements (due to, more so in the past but not so much these days, the grammar Nazi's lol :beer:

However, one thing, that is abundantly clear is that there is just so much information to be had on the net these days, why would one scroll through Thai360 if you had never heard about it. A simple search of "Thailand bar Girls" gives you 4,300,000 results in 0.15 seconds, with pictures and youtube clips :beer:

ffm1vgJUmWA

Hi,

Whosyourdaddy said:

"Unfortunately, this board just looks low tech-little graphics, forum menu shows very little information etc."

While I agree with this (and am addressing it by moving to new software), I disagree that boards need to be hi-tech with lots of graphics. The main attraction of boards is information, not bells & whistles.

Can't imagine what kind of 'hi-tech' would improve the information.

Alholk said:

"Also I miss some intelligent posters like Fly, Suadam, DbSezAloah(sp?) etc. They were either banned or left theft the board because they were often responded with personal attacks."

Not correct.

Fly was banned, yes, but only after I spent months trying to keep him from starting flame wars. He was totally incapable of having a polite discussion and would instantly resort to personal attacks. Finally I had enough of cleaning up his messes and despite his wealth of information told him to leave.

Suadum is still around.

DbSezAloha was one of the moderators, I overruled one of his calls and he took that VERY personal. A week later he left after seriously fucking up the content on this board by deleting all his posts.

There is often a lot more going on behind the scenes when a high profile member leaves, so don't immediately assume they were banned or that the ban was not justified.

Sanuk!

Archived