Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on this board ...

gobbledonk

:yeahthat:

But how do you reinvigorate the board to gain new members? Sex does sell. It's a primal urge many can become totally obsessed with here in Thailand. In earlier times it was part and parcel of the site and a reason for its existence. Now it is old hat for many, boring to some, and the site has a much broader appeal/focus, mainly on Bangkok. Being as it is not a Pattaya focused board, of which the ones so focused seem to be mainly about the nightlife/sex scene and the support of the scene (hotels, how to get there, bars, agogos, restaurants, etc... for those going there), I don't see this site gaining more Pattaya and nightlife members. As there are other, many other, sites that provide much of this info these days.

The board has matured. I do believe that the mods and KS need to crack down somewhat on the older members who constantly call 'troll' and harass newbies asking the same old questions. The thing is, those same old questions that have been answered repeatedly here need to be answered by those still involved in the nightlife scene, as... the scene is in flux constantly and 'up to date' info is what these people are looking for.

I do have ideas that could/should maybe be implemented, but, it would take members who are willing to put in the time to add content. The older guys who used to be constant posters with good up to date info are gone from the scene and the board (Sarisin, Long Gun, etc.). Those guys took the time to write up their reports and posts, which added much 'on the spot' info on the scene, the city, and Thailand. These guys are gone, and few have stepped in to take their place.

And, rather than constant bantering on the politics and sports forums, maybe some could add pertinent info others would benefit from here, members for years, and newbies looking for new fresh info.

I personally feel what is needed is a core group of expats willing to take the time to write and post. Ideally the best are those not just blowing their own horn to look like the 'super cool monger dude' but those that can write humourous and interesting pieces that are well written enough, and filled with tidbits of info that others can use while living or visiting here, to be of interest.

Most of us do not take the time to do this and just post chatter. Many of the older members just haven't the time, or interest any more, to do this.

We need to encourage rather than discourage new people coming here to share their stories and anecdotes and info gleaned.

JMHO.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember some of the features on Nanaplaza? Voting for the best bar, posters writing bar reviews ... there was a separate rating and review section for Nana, Cowboy, Patpong and Pattaya. I always liked that.

It wasn't carried over to Thai360. Why wasn't it? It should be a draw for newbies. :hmmm:

Hi,

"It wasn't carried over to Thai360. Why wasn't it?"

It was too hard to integrate with this software. It wouldn't be that hard to write such a system, but integrating it with the forum (any forum) would be quite a bit harder.

In other words, I could create this again, but it would be completely stand alone.

Sanuk!

I sometimes think that the USA thread, whilst maybe one of the most popular on here, takes away the emphasis of the board ... yes, I hear the remarks, "you don't have to look at it", that is true, but it also means that posters are devoting their time and energy to that thread ... equally so, I agree with KS, let the board go as it is and see where it goes :beer:

Hi,

"It wasn't carried over to Thai360. Why wasn't it?"

It was too hard to integrate with this software. It wouldn't be that hard to write such a system, but integrating it with the forum (any forum) would be quite a bit harder.

In other words, I could create this again, but it would be completely stand alone.

Sanuk!

I sort of figured that was the reason.

Frank Leigh my deer I don't give a dam, but I notice those who bitch the loudlest about US topics are usually those who hardly ever post at all. I suspect that banning US posts would not add anything to the other forums and would simply drive some posters away completely.

When I was an editor, I was sent to do a feature on Club Med Phuket. I got to stay there 5 days, so I took my Mrs with me. We were sitting on the beach one day when the French gal who managed CM saw me and came over to talk. She had two female friends with her, all three wearing only bikini bottoms. When they left, my wife said to me, "Weren't you embarrassed?" I answered, "No, why should I be? They're the ones who are half naked, not me. " :D

Archived