Koh Chang

Guest baldrick

Hi,

Have been there a couple of times. Last time was 13 years ago though, so I guess it will have changed quite a bit :)

From what I remember though it is very beautiful.

And have you considered Koh Khut (I think it's called)? According to my wife her students told her that is much nicer, less developed. It's in the same area.

Sanuk!

I spent 3 months on Koh Chang in 1996. Absolutely loved it.

Been back twice since then, last visit 2 years ago.

I think it is a bit like Phuket these days. I found it quite difficult to recognize the island.

I guess if one has never visited the island before, it is worth a visit.

We headed for Koh Mak and Koh Kood instead. Koh Kood is much like Koh Chang 15 years ago.

Koh Kood

Koh Chang is definately my favourite island in Thailand. But be warned that in October it can be VERY rainy, the worst case scenario is that you will be stuck in a flood and can't leave your bungalow. Better not to book anything in advance, just go to Thailand and check the weather forecasts and in case it looks bad head elsewhere.

And edit...yes it's not an unspoilt paradise island anymore. It has changed a lot in recent years and soon can be compared to Koh Samui. But at this stage it's a good combination of island living and all those things tourism brings (services, nightlife, restaurants etc.)

Hi Phil.

There is a speed boat to Koh Koot (makes a stop at Koh Mak) not far from Laem Ngop. (Pier to Koh Chang)

There is another pier at Laem Sok quite a bit further to the south. Both a speed boat and a "slow boat".

You can go via Koh Chang too. Bang Bao at the southern tip of KC has boats too.

Trooper is right. October can be rainy. If you are stuck on an island like Koh Koot during the rain, make sure to bring your missus :)

Or you will be bored shitless :)

Years back I wanted to go to Koh Tang. At that time, a boat went to this island once a week. I wanted to be dropped off there and be picked up one week later. I paid the extra fare for Koh Tang but instead got dropped off at Koh Chang.

I guess they thought it would be better to drop me off there being I didn't have any supplies with me.

..... and I really was expecting to be alone by myself for one week. Shite!

There is also a direct airconditioned boat to Koh Kood from Trat riverside but I'm not sure if it runs daily in October. I've used it the other way and it took about 2,5 hours. Koh Kood is a total getaway, but I wouldn't risk going there for holiday during the rainy season.

Archived