Warning over Thai election violence

Coss

Link

SCCZEN_AP110207222746_460x230.JPG

A supporter rides a bike with a number one sign near a poster of Pheu Thai Party prime ministerial candidate Yingluck Shinawatra. Photo / AP

Australian authorities have warned of possible violence during Thailand's national elections, urging travellers to exercise a high degree of caution due to potential civil unrest.

Thailand's voters go to the polls today, with the main opposition Pheu Thai Party hoping to snatch power from the incumbent Democrats.

The election comes after 2010's series of bloody and violent anti-government protests which left more than 80 civilians dead and many more injured.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has updated its advice for travellers heading to Thailand, warning of possible violence, terror attacks and unrest.

New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade reviewed its advice two weeks ago, saying there is some risk to people's safety in Bangkok and other areas due to the uncertain political situation.

-AAP

I noticed yesterday as I went down my soi that the Democrat posters seem to have disappeared. Instead, there are many more Pheu Thaksin posters ... and no others. I wonder how that happened. :hmmm:

A few days ago I did see a pickup truck putting up red #1 posters near me. The guy doing it actually took down a Democrat poster so he could put up a Takky one. He looked a bit embarassed when he realised I saw him do it.

So why does PT always make me think of Big Brother in "1984"?

p.s. I see a lot more vandalised posters these day - but never once a PT poster. The yellow "Vote No" posters seem to be a favourite target - as many as 1/3rd of them damaged or destroyed. The Dems come next.

Odd, my experience is the opposite. I see a lot of nr. 1 posters tagged or ripped, but few of the nr. 10 ones. I also see a lot of the nr. 1 posters tore down from their poles.

You say that the vote no is the Democrat posters? The ones with a tiger and a crocodile, or two buffaloes. Instead of numbers there is just an X.

I saw two groups taking down different posters this afternoon a bit less than an hour ago (after the polls closed). They are supposed to go down after the election, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it happen so quickly.

The "vote no" folks are the political party the yellow shirts started. Have you seen the poster with them beating lumps on both Thaksin's and Abhisit's head? One of their posters says the choice is between the people who burnt the city (Takky) and the people who would pardon them (Abhisit). They want you to boycott the election.

As to the destroyed posters, maybe it depends on the neighbourhood. I suspect our local mo'cy' taxi boys.

A couple of hours ago I saw pickup trucks going down Ratchada gathering up everyone's posters. My taxi driver told me they were going to sell them for scrap. :dunno:

Archived