THE election result thread

kamui

Chuwit is in - his party got 5 seats from the party list. Gen. Sonthi - who staged he coup against Takky - is in with maybe 4 seats.

As to "true democracy", it sort of is like a 19th century Old West battle between the cattlemen and the sheep herders or homesteaders. :p

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Chuwit the one with the buffalo head ? Man, what I wouldnt give to hear HIS opening address to Parliament .....

Levity aside, I can only guess that there is a certain amount of tension in the air in BKK as everyone waits to see how the 'elites' will react.

Only 4 seats? He has more wives than that. :D

Bizarre going to work this morning. Traffic much lighter than usual and very few taxis to be seen. The taxi drivers must have gone home to Issan to vote and celebrated with the money they got. Too hung over to come back to Bangkok. I eventually got a Bangkok cabbie, a 62-year-old guy from Bang Mot. He let me know right away that he wasn't happy. He asked how you could be PM and take orders from someone outside the country. He added that Thaksin had done nothing for the city ... it hadn't progressed at all under him. He was no doubt one of the "evil urban elite" that the foreign press rails on about.

"It really is about what most of the Thai people want."

Bingo!

Yet only 2/3rd of the voters turned out. Predictions were it would top 75%. So what happened? Maybe 1/3rd just didn't like any of the choices.

Therefore, IMO, the 1/3 who decided not to vote for whatever reason can NOT complain about the government they get!

"It really is about what most of the Thai people want."

Bingo!

Yet only 2/3rd of the voters turned out. Predictions were it would top 75%. So what happened? Maybe 1/3rd just didn't like any of the choices.

Therefore' date=' IMO, the 1/3 who decided not to vote for whatever reason can NOT complain about the government they get![/quote']

And 75% is a really high number of voters. Most western democracies are way below.

Archived