My Drinking

Fiery Jack

I guess its a good thing you really weren't a truck driver in the Midlands. Alcoholics run in my family. My dad was a mean drunk but drank until his death at 89. His brother was a happy drunk. Booze took most of his stomach and he died of a heart attack at age 66. I did some work around his house when he was drinking and there wasn't a place were he didn't hide a bottle. My brother drinks way too much and it has definitely worsened our relationship. I've had my binges as a young adult but haven't got stinking drunk for 25 years. Now, if I could give up gambling, my family would be extremely happy. Take care, Jack.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm useless as a big drinker, but at least I am a happy drunk - cant stand the younger generation of '6 foot tall and bulletproof' dickheads.

The only other thing I can add is that mixing your spirits, beer and wine on the same night is a recipe for disaster, yet many still do it. I can handle most things, but Mekong (the drink, not the board member - maybe its actually spelt 'Mehkong') really does knock me around. Nothing else has the same effect - vivid hallucinations followed by a blackout. Fortunately, beer just gives me a headache ;)

Supposedly, in former years when a new officer reported to a company in the British Army it was the practice to get him drunk. They'd then judge his actions. A commissioned officer should remain a gentleman even when shitfaced. If he didn't he would be ostracised.

I remember only "happy drunks" from my time in the US Army. Any mean drunks would promptly have had the crap beaten out of them by the rest of the GIs. But from what one sees in the gogo bars these days, the obnoxious drunks seem to be in the majority.

I'm a Boy Scout compared to most. I don't smoke. Never have. I don't drink much. I have a very low tolerance and get 'buzzed' very easily. I'll drink if friends are engaging in it but even then I don't drink much comparably. My usual order at a bar is orange juice and pineapple juice mixed. It looks like cocktail drink. Girls don't like when the guy drinks less than they do. It happened to me recently when a girl invited me out and complained that I don't drink. I did drink, just not in the same quantity as she did but to her it was the same as being a non drinker and she kept pissing me off when she kept saying i don't drink when I already had one bottle of beer. :nahnah:

Was she Australian or British?

Korean born and raised but was a big time party girl, said she liked to get plastered when she goes out and she actually acted like a black girl in terms of mannerisms...lol...she dated a lot of black guys in the army, liked R&B and I felt like I was dating a girl from my old neighborhood.

I simply LOVE Aussie girls. Kiwis not far behind, a little farther behind but also has my vote are British girls. Canadians aren't too bad as well. Americans girls are on the bottom of the list unfortunately. Too neurotic. I have a British friend who prefers American girls. Says British girls are too critical of guys and likes to take their balls. I found the few British girls I dated to be much better girlfriends than American girls usually.

Anyway, to FJ. Good to hear you're doing well. You seemed to have moved into a new phase in your life. Much more introspective. I say it as a good thing mind you.

Good luck on your journey in finding happiness and life's answers.

I simply LOVE Aussie girls. Kiwis not far behind, a little farther behind but also has my vote are British girls. Canadians aren't too bad as well. Americans girls are on the bottom of the list unfortunately. Too neurotic. I have a British friend who prefers American girls. Says British girls are too critical of guys and likes to take their balls. I found the few British girls I dated to be much better girlfriends than American girls usually.

Dont worry - we have our share of neurotic headcases. I suspect that the bigger the city, the more likely you are to run into headcases of both sexes.

We've never met but have enjoyed your sense of humor in your posts over the years. I appreciate what you've shared and hope that you can keep us posted on what unfolds from here. You've stepped back and examined your life honestly. It's an invitation for all of us. Be well my friend.

Archived