Top 5 BKK bars and why?

Redbaron

What's your top 5 bars in Bangkok? It can be a gogo, a beer bar, a freelancer joint. It can be a hotel bar, or some old woman selling beer or Mekong by the side of the road.

It's been at least six years since my last visit to the kingdom, so my list is way outdated. With an upcoming trip, I'd be interested to know your top 5....

Here's mine...

1. California Bar - a dinky little beer bar in the now demolished Soi 10 "complex"? Why? Cos the chicks were fun and hot, we had a LOT of laughs there, the company was unbeatable and the way they cheered when I returned from a triumphant mission to Pattaya was so touching..

2. Beer Garden, Soi 7 - needs no introduction. Was there for New Years back in 2001 or 2002. Ended up being a massive night, as NYE's tend to become. Learned the 3 second rule, met some weird and wonderful BG's there and, again, had some massive laughs with some top blokes.

3. Gulliver's, Soi 5 - not a bad spot to kick back in air conditioned comfort and watch a game of football, cricket, F1... whatever. The odd stunner could be found here too. Was also the venue for almost all of my T360/NEP.com meetings where we always had a good laugh, before slinking off into the night.

4. NEP, the gogo with the shower... it was a while ago, and I know it wasn't on the ground floor but I don't remember much more. The girls did some amazing things under the water, all soaped up in pairs, 3's and 4's... definately stirred my loins even though I was massively intoxicated. Sadly went back a few nights later and it was dead.

5. Midnite. Have heard it's since gone to shit, but had some hilarious nights with a former board member here

Honourable mention :- Cathouse, NEP. 100THB unlimited chang. That was simply dangerous, and despite having my drink spiked by a TWAT (wasn't one of the girls in all fairness, and they agreed with me the next day on who it was), there were some funny nights in our "home bar". The London Contingent more often than not started the nights of debauchery here.

Have added a poll, partly because I have never done one before, in almost 10 years... partly because I'm planning my next trip, and since its been so long, want to know where's hot......

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spasso (Grand Hyatt Erawan )...great bands

Angelwitch ..always a great night out .

G Spot another good one ..imo

Sirocco Sky Bar...great views

Any of the Kings bars in Patpong ....good range of eye candy and fun place for a drink before heading off into the night..

4. Vodoo had a shower in the middle of the stage. Used to be fun watching the BGs playing in it.

5. Midnight hasn't gone to hell, just is damned expensive. It is one of the "Arab" bars - cute gals but a lot of hustle. Thus at the door waitin to beat the crap out of you if they get bored.

One of the Nana bars had the fish tank - Lolipop maybe? Naked mermaids swimming around in it. :)

Rawhide in Cowboy had a shower once upon a time - in the right hand corner as you came in. I think it's still there, but it hasn[t been used in ages.

The first shower show was at Lipstick back around 1985-86. The bar was designed with it in place. Firecat had the same owner - now way to put in a shower, so they had a bath tub show. :)

Rawhide in Cowboy had a shower once upon a time - in the right hand corner as you came in. I think it's still there, but it hasn[t been used in ages.

I'm sure I saw it being used in recent visits. Good dance pole shows as well. Worth a look see, but I wouldn't want a take out.

One of the Nana bars had the fish tank - Lolipop maybe? Naked mermaids swimming around in it.

That was about 15 years ago and it was indeed Lollipop/Mermadium. Those were the days when Bkk was fun. Do you also remember the Patpong bar that had a live show on a motorbike lowered from the ceiling. I think it was Supergirl. Unfortunately those days will most likely never come back.

Sukhumvit Soi 7/1 :beer:

It contains 2-3 sports bars, it has different owners from various countries. it has internet, massage places (3 from memory), a money changer (with a great, if not the best, exchange rate) ... various bars where you can take away or go upstairs ... great & cheap soi food, cheapish accommodation if you say "feck it, I staying here for the night" :beer:

Ah, Red!!

How long's a piece of string? Depends if you're talking about quality of girls, amount of blinding shags in relations to bar fines at a bar, P4P vs non-P4P bars, are you with fellow mongers, non-mongers, co-workers on a night out. Too many variables!

Anyway, seeing as the nightlife section of this board is primarily to do with mongering, I'll list my top 5 P4P venues. (Bearing in mind #5 isn't a bar per-se, but hey...)

1. Big Dogs - Enterance to NEP

Great place to sit in the afternoon and watch the passing cavalcade of humanity arrive at NEP.

Bar 4 down the road is a better bar and has nicer girls IMO, but you can't beat sitting on the corner and watching what goes on around NEP as the sun goes down.

2. Shark A-Go-Go - Soi Cowboy

I've found probably the most consistent quality in the whole soi in terms of good looking girls. Baccara next door used to be in my top 5 for this reason, but so J-orientated these days, nigh on impossible to get a seat on recent visits and girls far more interested in chasing the YEN than my little ol' baht.

3. Tilac A-Go-Go - Soi Cowboy

Good for eye candy, and always had a good time in here. Probably the most "commercial" bar on the strip, but some really nice looking girls in here and, whilst they can be persistent for LD's, they do move on if you politely say "no".

4. Rainbow I - NEP

I know it's a shit hole, and Rainbow 3 and in particular 4, seems to have a better reputation, but I've always had a lot of fun in here, and a LOT of cute looking girls to ogle at whilst having a beer. Again, a lot interested in the Japaense guys, but always seem to be a lot of cuties in here when I've come in. Knowing a lot of the dek serves in here for many years probably helps me get "looked after" in here and avoid hassle.

5. Nana Hotel Car Park

Whilst not a bar, an amazing place to sit/stand, drink a take-out beer and watch the sex industry at work at the end of the night when the gogos close. Unvelievable some nights that so much sex can be "for rent" in such a small area. Some of the best shags I've had in BKK have come out of this car park. Ah, the memories! :)

Of course, this list is just my opinions and of course others will differ.

Interesting to read other's favourites too and get some ideas for the next trip!

One of the Nana bars had the fish tank - Lolipop maybe? Naked mermaids swimming around in it.

That was about 15 years ago and it was indeed Lollipop/Mermadium. Those were the days when Bkk was fun. Do you also remember the Patpong bar that had a live show on a motorbike lowered from the ceiling. I think it was Supergirl. Unfortunately those days will most likely never come back.

Superstar, I think. Super-something anyway. I remember a bar in the late 1980s where the DJ would blow pot smoke into the A/C system whenever he played "Smoke on the Water". :p

Archived