Let's fly Jetstar?

Redbaron

Starting to look at flights for February, and Jetstar's come up trumps as far as prices go. MEL-BKK return for under $700 plus luggage allowance ($50 for 35kgs one way - will only take a small bag on the way, need a new luggage set anyway). All up about $730. The cheapest "normal" airline was around $1250 from memory.

Anyone had any good/bad experience flying Jetstar internationally? I realise Qantas passengers are often on JS planes, and not too happy about it at times.

Did a bit of a google, and the meals set you back $7 or $10, beer/wine is 6-8 a pop. Not really worried about in flight entertainment, as I usually sleep or read. I'm not a big bloke, but how's the comfort? Delays? That sort of thing...

Thanks in advance

I'm sure I fly with this guy regularly.

Qantas pilot ban after bender

A QANTAS pilot has been banned from flying after going on a seven-hour bender in Buenos Aires the day before he was due to fly back to Australia.

Over seven hours Second Officer Jeremy Hackett partied on with another pilot, drinking beer, wine and grappa, until the other officer became concerned he was delusional and suicidal.

He was snarling and ranting about the occult, death, apocalypse and his demons.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/qantas-pilot-ban-after-bender/story-e6frea6u-1226091515133

Red,

Can be delayed, but better than they have been in the past.

Luckily for you, the fly direct from MEL - BKK.

From SYD we either have to go through Phuket or transfer at MEL.

I would fly them, but only if I paid extra when booking for an exit room. Leg room is pretty ordinary. Also, (not a problem for some, but personally annoying to me), Jetstar does tend to attract a more "feral" type of passenger than the more mainstream airlines.

Have a look at Malaysia Airlines - they have had some good specials recently and a fine airline to fly.

thanks moo, will keep looking around. I think it's a bit far off (7 months) for the major airlines to be offering any great specials as yet.

Legroom doesn't really bother me as I'm a short arse, but I do like to stretch. Not a Freq Flyer member anymore so no preference, and from what i read it's all turned into a big scam anyway...

Pretty happy with $700 though. Last trip I paid for was well over a grand with Thai, and about 5 years ago

I usually fly Singapore Airlines, and in off season, which is now and the next 1-2 moths, you will get a flight for about $880-920 ... you cannot beat the service, the food and the free drinks, sure there is a 2 hour stop over in Singapore, but you can also use that as a base to go somewhere else :beer:

Yeah, Emirates are doing SYD-BKK return for 881, and I even prefer Air Asia to Jetstar. I havent had any problems with flights leaving on time, but you really do feel like you just got on a Greyhound Bus - I can live with that if it means cheap flights, but its actually made worse by the kind of people they seem to attract in cabin crew. Each of my international flights has been dominated by an out-there gay FA who thinks the intercom is a microphone at La Cage Aux Folles, aided and abetted by female FAs who like to laugh along with his monologue.

Hot tip Jetstar - just serve the peanuts and coke and leave the comedy to experts.

At the moment it's a toss up, but Jetstar are $500 cheaper than their nearest competitor at the moment. Considering I sleep 9x out of 10, and generally simply lose myself in a book for the majority of the time I'm awake - unless a "real" airline comes up with a special it'll be Jetstar. Still a while off though so will keep an eye out.

Thanks guys

Archived