Fire-breathing Vindaloo in LOS ?

gobbledonk

Yes, I want the same experience I can get in any Australian city - tears streaming down your face as you reach for the Yoghurt/whatever to try to quench those flames. For some %&$! reason, I seem to find myself at places in Thailand where they dont want to 'offend' anyone with a genuinely hot Vindaloo - what is going on with that ??

I'm thinking I need to stay away from places with nice tablecloths and smartly dressed wait staff, and find some dingy alleyway near Soi 3 ;)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to love the vindaloo at the Cock & Bull restaurant years ago. I don't think it's still around any more.

For real Injun food, try the restaurants in Pahurat (Little India). The Royal India is an old favourite. It is opposite the Sikh temple. Forget the touristy places.

I second Royal India in Pahurat. Superb, authentic, no-frills northern Indian food at reasonable prices, served in an air-conditioned space, no less! Easy to get to the general area avoiding traffic if you take the Skytrain to the river taxi at Saphan Taksin station and get off the river taxi at Saphan Phut stop, then walk around a kilometer, maybe less.

However, actually finding the restaurant, once you're in the neighborhood, can be quite difficult if you don't have someone with you who's been there before; it's down a small sub-soi...although last time I was there, first time in years, they at least had erected a fairly noticeable sign out on the main street (sorry, I don't know the name of that street!)

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the photos - I feel like I'm standing in that Soi right now !

Jack, I dont know what you mean - my bowel movements after consuming Thai and Indian curries are all completely unhurried and without any sort of drama ! I also have some land on an island in Moreton Bay if you're interested - guarantee that you will have water views ;)

Yes, I want the same experience I can get in any Australian city - tears streaming down your face as you reach for the Yoghurt/whatever to try to quench those flames. For some %&$! reason, I seem to find myself at places in Thailand where they dont want to 'offend' anyone with a genuinely hot Vindaloo - what is going on with that ??

I'm thinking I need to stay away from places with nice tablecloths and smartly dressed wait staff, and find some dingy alleyway near Soi 3 ;)

Did anybody tell you they have cumin in them?

Archived