Best netbook?

radioman

I have an Asus EeePC 1101HA and it has been really good, still is. I use it most days and it travels with me for work. It has the Atom Z520 1.33GHz dual thread processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 160GB hard disk. Widescreen 1366x768 display, 1.3MP camera, and a decent, to me, keyboard. Superb battery life, 8-9 hours, until just recently when it started to drop off a bit. Would be nicer if the card slot was multi device not just SD, better graphics than the GMA500 would be nice too, and of course something a bit meatier than the ATOM Z520.

So, if I was to be in the market for another netbook what would be the dogs danglies? The MacbookAir, can't cut it, no ethernet port, only display port not VGA and weedy storage and battery life. So, something with a dual core processor, better graphics, as good a battery life, plus other goodies that have come along in the last couple of years would be the target.

Ideas?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U731, I currently run an Asus 1101HA and it has been great as I said in my initial post and I will likely buy a new battery and keep it, at least for now but thinking of replacing it I can't seem to find much in the way of a better replacement. That said I have just become aware of some Samsung i3 dual core netbooks that would likely give me the boost I would be interested in but not sure about battery life yet.

Coss, I really do like the Macbook Air and might just forgive it's other shortcomings but I really can't deal with either 64 or 128 Gb as a primary drive, 250 maybe and 320 okay, planning for the next 3 years and I can see 64Gb as a real hardship. The 13"Pro is nice too but too heavy, 25% more than my Asus 1101.

Another point is that apart from the Apple most netbooks today have 0.3MP cameras but my 1101 has a 1.3MP camera. Wonder why the apparent downgrading?

It might help I guess but really too sloooooooow I think. I think it is also Apple specific so not much use with all my devices. No doubt similar services available. Need to look at this.

You have the SSD in your Air? How big? How quick from lid open to say web page loading or email downloading etc?

As soon as I flip the lid the screen appears ... I usually have my Macair beside my bed, which is about 50 feet from the Wi-fi modem, thus it takes about 1-3 seconds to hook on to the net.

I find webpages load almost immediately, but on some, no more than 1-2 seconds (depending on their web content - however, there are always some pages that take 3-5 seconds to load no matter what PC I am using, i.e., a mac or Microsoft) :beer:

I hear there is a new model coming out in the next few weeks ... it has the Thunderbolt thingy & other things :beer:

I'm looking at getting a netbook soon myself and although not strictly speaking a netbook as such the Macbook Air is a wonderful piece of kit and I'd love one, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost? Also it looks so fragile I'd be scared to take it anywhere! I think you'd need a hard case for it, I doubt the screen would last long with just a slip type cover?

Simie.

I'm looking at getting a netbook soon myself and although not strictly speaking a netbook as such the Macbook Air is a wonderful piece of kit and I'd love one, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost? Also it looks so fragile I'd be scared to take it anywhere! I think you'd need a hard case for it, I doubt the screen would last long with just a slip type cover?

Simie.

Last rumor in regard to the Macbook Air:

AllThingsD weighs in on the MacBook Air rumors that have been circulating the past few weeks. They claim that the long awaited MacBook Air will arrive "late next week" according to "several sources".

Several sources indicate that the company plans to uncrate the eagerly anticipated updates to its MacBook Air line late next week. “The rumor sites are off by a week,†one source said.

AllThingsD says to look for an announcement Thursday or Friday and that the new MacBook Airs will sport a Thunderbolt port, backlit keyboards, and 128GB and 256GB storage options.

buyersguide.macrumors.com

Archived