Best netbook?

radioman

I'm looking at getting a netbook soon myself and although not strictly speaking a netbook as such the Macbook Air is a wonderful piece of kit and I'd love one, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost? Also it looks so fragile I'd be scared to take it anywhere! I think you'd need a hard case for it, I doubt the screen would last long with just a slip type cover?

Simie.

Last rumor in regard to the Macbook Air:

AllThingsD weighs in on the MacBook Air rumors that have been circulating the past few weeks. They claim that the long awaited MacBook Air will arrive "late next week" according to "several sources".

Several sources indicate that the company plans to uncrate the eagerly anticipated updates to its MacBook Air line late next week. “The rumor sites are off by a week,†one source said.

AllThingsD says to look for an announcement Thursday or Friday and that the new MacBook Airs will sport a Thunderbolt port, backlit keyboards, and 128GB and 256GB storage options.

buyersguide.macrumors.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking at getting a netbook soon myself and although not strictly speaking a netbook as such the Macbook Air is a wonderful piece of kit and I'd love one, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost? Also it looks so fragile I'd be scared to take it anywhere! I think you'd need a hard case for it, I doubt the screen would last long with just a slip type cover?

Simie.

Last rumor in regard to the Macbook Air:

AllThingsD weighs in on the MacBook Air rumors that have been circulating the past few weeks. They claim that the long awaited MacBook Air will arrive "late next week" according to "several sources".

Several sources indicate that the company plans to uncrate the eagerly anticipated updates to its MacBook Air line late next week. “The rumor sites are off by a week,†one source said.

AllThingsD says to look for an announcement Thursday or Friday and that the new MacBook Airs will sport a Thunderbolt port, backlit keyboards, and 128GB and 256GB storage options.

buyersguide.macrumors.com

As soon as I flip the lid the screen appears ... I usually have my Macair beside my bed, which is about 50 feet from the Wi-fi modem, thus it takes about 1-3 seconds to hook on to the net.

I find webpages load almost immediately, but on some, no more than 1-2 seconds (depending on their web content - however, there are always some pages that take 3-5 seconds to load no matter what PC I am using, i.e., a mac or Microsoft) :beer:

I hear there is a new model coming out in the next few weeks ... it has the Thunderbolt thingy & other things :beer:

Interesting information. Screen immediately, 1-3 seconds to get on the net. Just wondering if that is from a cold start. It seems very quick but I've not started a system from an SSD so cannot say.

I do like the Macbook air but very much want to run Windows 7 on it, exclusively, think I am right in saying I can do that. The cost difference to other hardware is significant but given the amount of use my netbook gets I can see the value. Have now started to see some other 13 inch netbooks with i5 processors, Asus U36SD looks quite nice, so will see how they compare.

"very much want to run Windows 7 on it, exclusively, think I am right in saying I can do that. "

yes

"bootcamp" will partition the SSD and allow you to install Windows on it, you then can set the start up to the Windows partition and Voila, A Windows machine.

I am told that Windows on a Mac is faster than on an equivalent Windows machine.

Certainly is no slug on my MacBook Pro.

As soon as I flip the lid the screen appears ... I usually have my Macair beside my bed' date=' which is about 50 feet from the Wi-fi modem, thus it takes about 1-3 seconds to hook on to the net.

I find webpages load almost immediately, but on some, no more than 1-2 seconds (depending on their web content - however, there are always some pages that take 3-5 seconds to load no matter what PC I am using, i.e., a mac or Microsoft) :beer:

I hear there is a new model coming out in the next few weeks ... it has the Thunderbolt thingy & other things :beer: [/quote']

Interesting information. Screen immediately, 1-3 seconds to get on the net. Just wondering if that is from a cold start. It seems very quick but I've not started a system from an SSD so cannot say.

I do like the Macbook air but very much want to run Windows 7 on it, exclusively, think I am right in saying I can do that. The cost difference to other hardware is significant but given the amount of use my netbook gets I can see the value. Have now started to see some other 13 inch netbooks with i5 processors, Asus U36SD looks quite nice, so will see how they compare.

If you mean from a cold start where the machine is off, no, but it takes about 2-3 second for the screen to go blue, and about 2-3 second for the start window to appear, and about a second after that for it to be functional ... so, from a cold start, maybe 5-8 seconds ...

I usually just leave it on, and shut the top, the battery on standby is very very good. However, the claims that the battery lasts up to 7 hours is a beat up, if I a watching a movie the battery is about 3-4 hours.

Yes, like any laptop, you can drop it many times and be lucky, and you can drop it once and not be lucky. There is a new hard case coming out soon I hear.

I like it because it is light, and can put it in a light shoulder carry bag and not feel like I am hauling a brick around :beer:

However, I would wait for the new model, even if it will be another 3-6 months in coming out :beer:

"very much want to run Windows 7 on it, exclusively, think I am right in saying I can do that. "

yes

"bootcamp" will partition the SSD and allow you to install Windows on it, you then can set the start up to the Windows partition and Voila, A Windows machine.

I am told that Windows on a Mac is faster than on an equivalent Windows machine.

Certainly is no slug on my MacBook Pro.

My missus runs windows 7 on her macbook pro, and yes, it is faster on the mac than on a pc, but still, for me, to slow ... I cannot go back to a microsft PC or sytem, but I don't need anything more than watching dvds/downoad movies, internet, word processing and photos :beer:

Thanks guys, good info, <10 seconds from a cold start is good, so it seems the SSD gives a healthy speed boost. 6 months is about in my time frame and if this brings a a bigger drive then would be well worth the wait.

Gotta be a windows machine to run some specific company proprietary software. Could really use a serial port HA! will make do with a USB convertor though, as I do with my current netbook.

On that point I gotta say again that this Asus 1101HA has been a fantastic machine and no slouch for its Atom cpu. It's one reason why the Mac is still a contender in that it will have to be a special machine to better this I feel.

Early Benchmarks Reveal New MacBook Air Rivaling High-End 2010 MacBook Pro

According to the report, not only do the new MacBook Air models at least double the scores of the previous generation in testing with Geekbench, but the new machines also compare extremely favorably to even high-end MacBook Pro models from last year.

Link

Yes looks verey nice, I'm getting more tempted. I still think it needs a proper hard case though.

It appears from the UK Apple site that the white polycarbonate MacBook is no more? No update and its'nt on the site anymore.

Simie.

Archived