Screw it - I'm going back to Asia ;)

gobbledonk

Guest lazyphil

gd lately i've had an itch to visit oz. august 2012 taking my nipper (got 3 weeks 3 days leave granted) back to los, its a toss up to have a week in oz, cairns/barrier reef? kakadu NP? or visit friends in HCM vietnam (her best friend moved back there with viet mum brit dad).....the rest of the time in the los.......really dont know where to get a taster in oz. no time for an epic road trip, just want to see something, simply not interested in the big citys. i'm sure they're cosmo etc

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago my Mrs had a chance to go to Sydney on a tour some colleagues arranged. I told her to go to Melbourne at least, or some place more interesting than Sydney. She came back and was disappointed, said it was just another big city. Sydney was great the first time I went there - in 1969! Since then it's like Bangkok, just another huge metropolis. The Bangkok I knew in the 1970s and early '80s is also only a memory. :(

I'd love to visit northern Queensland some time. Never been out west either.

Guest lazyphil

queensland is very appealing, that pointy bit at the far north east has to be interesting!!!...cairns sounds my cup of tea, a sleepy tropical city????.....anymore advice welcome!

Why waste so much time and money traveling?

Pick 2 places (maybe 3 if you add in BKK with Pattaya) - the rest is money spent on moving around, wasting time in airports, etc...

If I were you (and I'm not!) I would:-

a. fly australia to Angeles

b. Then fly Cebu Pacific Angeles to BKK

c. Split time 5 days Angeles, 2 days BKK, 6 days Pattay (or something like that).

If you have to fly back via Angeles (not really necessary now with low cost airlines) - then I would put 4 nights Angeles first time, then 2 nights on the return.

Let me know when your planning that trip - I have some time in Manila coming up in September.

Cheers!

GD,

If you're going purely for sanook and to meet companions on a day-to-day basis or thereabouts, maybe 4 nights in Chiang Mai will leave you a little ...... lonely? :dunno:

I like Chiang Mai and hope to spend a few months there in 2012 or 13.

That said I think you're also absolutely right --> if it's a 'doing it all for the sanooky' trip CM doesn't have as vibrant a nightlife.

There is one go-go "Foxy Lady" where the dancers were quite attractive, but that was it for go-gos (there are a couple others by the moat that are horrendous - Foxy Lady is across from the night market). There are also a couple strips of small beer bars where YMMV. Lots of cool shit to do though and a good place to travel with someone.

Archived