Stupid questions about LOS

cavanami

And... I think when I look back in my dim and distant past, I remember reading an article in the Bangkok Post (or maybe The Nation) when one of their US-based journos asked 150 random Americans to point to Thailand on a map of the world and only about 10% could do it.

Out of the other 90%, about 50% pointed to "TAIWAN" and the rest didn't have a clue.

:surprised:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was about to come to LOS as a PC vol, a neighbour asked my mother ... "Why is the Peace Corps sending him to Tijuana?"

:banghead:

I recall reading that a survey a few years ago found that about 60% of Canadians didn't know the first line to the national anthem, "O Canada". The first line of "O Canada" is ... "O Canada". :p

I am actually getting these questions from Thais a lot.

Do they have rice in Holland

Can they eat chicken in Holland

Do they have tea in Holland

etc etc etc ....

Everytime I try to explain to them we have a couple of hundred thousand Indonesians there and almost every village has a chinese/indonesian restaurant they dont believe it. Also trying to explain to them that the average Dutch person probably eats rice once a week sounds unbelievable to them.

So on one trip to Holland I shot pictures of people in Dutch streets with many Asians, Africans etc in them. A picture with Tuk Tuks in The Hague. Pictures in supermarkets of the many different kinds of rice and the oriental spices section. And off course of Thai restaurants.

Then they started asking ..... why do you allow all the foreigners, why do you eat rice etc .....

Stupidity rules on this planet amongst 80-90% of humanity unfortunately.

W

Things have improved though. I haven't been asked by a Thai in years that bizarre question ... "Do you have the moon in America?" :confused:

And I don't mean from BGs either. This was from university students. :rolleyes:

p.s. Years ago I had a Dutch neighbour who worked for the UN. One day he told me an older Asian man at the UN had started speaking perfectly fluent Dutch to him. Turned out the guy was from Indonesia and had started school when all instruction was in Dutch.

Guest lazyphil

i was asked in rural oregon by a family with their daughter in the back of a pick-up at a 'gas station' 'do you speak english in england'....i kid you not.....wasn't sure if they were taking the piss :surprised:

Archived