Poll: Majority accept corruption in govt

Flashermac

The majority of Thai people say a corrupt government is acceptable to them if, in being dishonest, it can also bring prosperity to the people and to the country, according to the results of an Abac Poll released today.

The pollsters questioned 2,559 people in 17 provinces throughout the country about what they expect from the incoming government.

Asked about their attitude toward corruption, a clear majority (64.5 per cent) of respondents said a corrupt government is acceptable, just so long as it can make the country prosperous and they too stand to benefit from it. Only 35.5 per cent said was unacceptable.

Those who voiced no objection to corrupt practices included: 71 per cent of respondents under 20 years of age, 71 per cent of those with an average income of over 20,000 baht per month, 72.3 per cent of students, 67 per cent of operators of private businesses, 64.9 per cent of employees of private companies, 56.4 per cent of farmers and workers, and 50.9 per cent of government officials and state enterprise workers.

At a more educated level, a corrupt government with a satisfactory performance was acceptable to 66.7 per cent of those below a bachelor's degree level and to 58.4 per cent of those with a bachelor's degree or higher education.

[color:red]People opposed to corruption were mostly over 50 years of age and earning less than 5,000 baht a month.[/color] :content:

[color:blue]Abac Poll director Noppadon Kannikar said the results revealed a very dangerous attitude which was an obstacle to the country's development and a reflection that, for most people, self-interest comes before the country.[/color]

It was alarming that several previous polls by Abac had showed similar outcomes, he said.

Bankok Post

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Flashoidal Unit... Come down from outspace as in planet earth. Show me a government there Government does not equal corruption. Here is as example: you carry on about vote buying yet in America he who spend the most wins. Joe Kennedy said that he didn;t want to pay for one vote he didn't need to get his son elected Pres. Now IR Police: OK thgere take (extort money) IN the U.S. the fines and defense fees are some of the highest ifr no the highest in the world... I'd rather pay Ha Pan Baht that pay abvout 50K USD because I had 3 lite beers and the cop was a dyke!

corruption... What you can pay the little be ou have to pay. Don't pretent to be a a moralist for the sake of you life as a poster. You Avi says it all....

Thailand is delightfully corrupt. At least the Thaksinesque government had compassion for the poor! Look at the roads in Issan, remember that 90% of trhe work was done by local villageers.. I could go on and on and I will as I continue to review you posts. Your shite would be perfect over on the commercial board!

Archived