Many say corruption OK if country prospers, poll finds

Coss

Link

[color:gray]CossCommentary:[/color] [color:brown]LOS is the place I love and love to monger in, it is no wonder it's a friendly place for a bloke with money when you understand that people really do think like this...[/color]

More than half of all Thais (64.5 per cent) believe corruption is acceptable if the new government makes the country prosper, promotes people's wellbeing and benefits the respondents themselves, while 35.5 per cent said otherwise, an Abac poll reported Wednesday.

The percentage of those agreeing to corrupt government - if it benefits them - was particularly large (at about 70 per cent) among respondents aged under 20 and between 2029. (edit - 20 to 29 ?)

The July poll - involving 2,559 people over 18 from 17 provinces including Bangkok - found the respondents would file complaints against;

corrupt community leaders (74.4 per cent),

civil servants (72.9 per cent),

politicians (72.2 per cent),

ministers (71.7 per cent),

and people living under the same roof (70.8 per cent).

The percentage of those saying they would file complaints declined when it involved someone closer;

neighbours (61 per cent),

relatives (51 per cent)

one's own parents or children (43 per cent)

and oneself (38.1 per cent).

Respondents 67.8 per cent - said prime minister elect Yingluck Shinawatra was suitable to lead the campaign for Thai transparency and honesty, while 32.2 per cent disagreed.

"Respondents 67.8 per cent - said prime minister elect Yingluck Shinawatra was suitable to lead the campaign for Thai transparency and honesty, while 32.2 per cent disagreed."

I think it's interesting and I presume that the ~ 65% that find it acceptable, that the new government is corrupt, if it makes the country prosper, is the same bunch that is the ~ 67% that think Yingluck Shinawatra is suitable to lead the campaign for Thai transparency and honesty, probably because they think she is corrupt herself.

Presumably the other ~ 32% don't think she is suitable, probably for the same reason, because they think she is corrupt herself.

Archived