Big Bomb in downtown Oslo

radioman

If it's one of them cunning foreigners, you can blame the politics/religion

When it's one of your own, you can't blame your politics/religion, so you've got to look at insanity or other abnormality.

So obtusely, it's his choice of target, that determines what kind of blame will be laid, if he'd chosen people of another country, he's a terrorist, if he chooses his own, he's insane/abnormal.

JMHO

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been some interesting articles in the media on the Norwegian massacre. Some camps have declined to use the word terrorist, the word lunatic or deranged is preferable to saying the killer had a political agenda.

There's quite a bit of coyness in the discussion forums as well, any suggestion of "well don't you people think this was just an ordinary guy driven to extremes after seeing his country handed over to Muslim migrants by liberal traitors" is guaranteed to bring howls of outrage.

It's particularly interesting to see Islamophobes like Gellar, Spencer, Pipes etc. distancing themselves from any responsibility.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2011/07/26/draining-the-swamp/

My view is that the difference between the many hundreds of thousands of muslims that migrate to America and their brethren to Europe is that America for the most part only allowed middle class and wealthy muslims to migrate. Due to their low birthrate and inability to fill jobs with their own citizens, European countries allowed working class and lower class muslims to migrate in numbers. They became disenfranchised. England is unique in that they have allowed had a large number of immigrants from former colonies, one being Pakistan, formerly part of India, and many of the ones that came were poor. Many college students also came to Europe as well, same as the U.S. and would have to believe a number of them were from middle and upper middle class.

I think the reasons why England and Europe have a problem with immigrated muslims and America hasn't is a bit complex but at its source is that America has muslims that became successful. I would imagine very few poor muslims from abroad and would guess that most make an upper middle class income. I don't think the same can be said of the muslims in Europe to the same degree as America.

Also, I think that European countries being far more homogenous than America exasperated the situation as well. We are a land of immigrants. You can become 'American'. The children of these muslims sound like the rest of Americans, go to school with them and have the same interest in computer games, support the local pro teams, perhaps play little league or kids soccer, etc. Many Germans will not accept German born Iraqi, Iranian, Turk, etc. as 'German'. I have a friend who was born to American soldiers on an American base in Germany and given up for adoption. She was part of a pair of twins that were adopted by a German family. She's black. Her mother was black and father was a very dark Puerto Rican, both soldiers. She obviously speaks unaccented German. She is in her early 30s. As kids she told me numerous stories. very hurtful stories about days at the park, etc. and comments made to their faces not only by other kids but adults as well. Very hurtful things. Both of them grew up to reject German culture. Her sister identified with the many Africans that are in Germany and dates exclusively Africans and adopted their manner of dress. My friend learned English and its accented and wants to move to America one day. She said she feels free when she visits America. People hear her accenented German and comment but she said the comments are not hurtful. They see her as unique, wonderfully unique to hear a black person with a german accent and she has had guys hit on her (she's actually cute anyway) based on her accent seeming cute to them. Sorta like the British accent. She speaks french and decent spanish and she's a hit anywhere she goes because she can converse in 4 different languages.

Muslim kids fit in so well socially in America that one of the biggest concerns of muslim parents (as well as Jewish parents) is that their kids are marrying out of their faith in alarming numbers. I posted once that near my brother's home in Tarzana, California the Iranians and other muslims set up private, parochial kindergarten and elementary schools for their kids. The intermarriage rate for the women are far, far higher than the men. After growing up with the freedoms accorded a California kid, the girls do not want to marry a traditional guy. I worked with one such girl at a previous job. My friends I bet on sports regularly and she would gamble with us (not a bad gambler as well) and was an avid Lakers fan and knew the sport very, very well from a technical view. She was not gonna marry a traditional muslim under any circumstances and looked for an Americanized muslim because her parents wouldn't accept a non muslim under any circumstances.

Europe has the opposite problem. Their muslims have not assimilated. Some have but many haven't and the citizens have not accepted them as German, Danish, Dutch, etc.

What's the solution? Stop the importation of poor muslms for one. Second, try to change the social view of them and start campaigns to have the citizens accept diversity. America preaches it and has for a while. Its drilled into us that diversity is a good thing. Third, try to get the muslims to assimilate better.

Refusal to assimilate is why the current batch of Hispanic immigrants to the USA is resented (especially since they came illegally anyway). The old generations of immigrants couldn't wait for their children to become American. The new ones demand special schools, lessons in "their own language", teach their children they are really Mexican (or whatever). I know many first generation native-born Americans who cannot speak their parents language, which really is a shame since it is so difficult to learn a foreign language as an adult. They wanted to be considered 100% American, not a hyphenated something. Now it seems to have done a 180 deree turn. :dunno:

p.s. Think of how many American-born Thais you've met who speak Thai. I've never met a one who could speak more than a few words. I have a Chinese-born colleague who grew up in Sydney. He can't even speak a word of Chinese and doesn't want to learn either. Then look at how North African immigrants in Europe are demanding sharia in their communities, insisting on street signs in Arabic etc. They want their new country to adapt to them, not the other way around.

No mention of 911 CS? Seems to me Americans didn't care much before that.

There were a few post tragedy revenge killings. They were most unfortunate. However, as critical as I am of America at times, nationally, the people showed considerable restraint. Extremely commendable. No burning and looting of muslim areas such as the heavily muslim neighborhoods in Detroit and Jersey City. A century ago, even 50 years ago, I'd have been surprised if there wasn't, but as a nation we have grown.

Archived