And We're Back!

khunsanuk

Hi,

"I think he means, when he clicks on a forum, he wants to go directly to post(s) he has not yet read, in the thread, 122 replies - 7 unread, click and jump to the 7, for example."

That is something already on my list of things to try and fix.

As for the style issues, I wonder how many of these are due to people viewing the forum on a widescreen monitor with the browser using the full width?

While I agree that the minimum post height is too high (and will try to sort that), I don't have too many issues with the way things look otherwise.

Sanuk!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I think he means, when he clicks on a forum, he wants to go directly to post(s) he has not yet read, in the thread, 122 replies - 7 unread, click and jump to the 7, for example."

That is something already on my list of things to try and fix.

As for the style issues, I wonder how many of these are due to people viewing the forum on a widescreen monitor with the browser using the full width?

While I agree that the minimum post height is too high (and will try to sort that), I don't have too many issues with the way things look otherwise.

Sanuk!

Well, I do not use the full width, I have about 10+ sites (6 of'em major newspapers), I regularly visit, not an issue, for any of the others or the last version of Thai360, very rare when it is an issue. I am set so I never have justify left to right, to view width of an entire IE browser page (125%) HD 17" Sony Notebook (1920 by 1200 pixel), while seeing 2 columns of most used program icons to the left, and seeing who is online yahoo and messenger to the right.

I guess with my less than perfect and still fading with age eyesight, it more of an issue for me, color, size and refocusing, not as comfortable.

Hi,

Okay, appreciate what you are saying. Have increased the fonts in the post_body by 5%.

Is this better?

Personally I think it is too big now, but then again I am used to tiny font :)

Sanuk!

It is a bit better, thanks.

What makes the eyes crazy however, is the Thai360 AND Forum page, generally what I was referring too.

The Forums page blocking, colors and font size and style are not easy on the eyes, spread across the field of white. What you do not need to read but once BIG/bright, and what you want small, blocking prevents smooth normal reading, rather your eyes have to refocus into box.

Spellcheck, needs to be download ?

Yep, the pages became much harder to read.

Fonts should be at least two points larger. On the overview pages, thread titels should be more close together and bold. Everything is kinda floating around without any visual hierarchy.

Another matter: When I post text into a post it doesn't get stripped of all the original HTML marking (font size, color, line spacing, e.g.). I know that there is button to erase all of this, but the function erases all returns as well and I have to add every return manually, which is quite annoying.

Hi,

Have added a different color to the alternating rows and pulled the rows closer together a bit.

Does this work better?

Sanuk!

The increased font size and the row colors make it _much_ better to read. Thanks xmas-smiley-005.gif (the Christmas/winter emoticons show up first in the emoticons drop down table...)

Hi,

Jigger finished the import a few hours ago and I've since applied the stylesheet, set permissions, etc

Most of the functionality should be operational, but I would not at all be surprised if there are still glitches. So, if you encounter any issues just let me know either by post or PT.

Board Sponsors, I had to manually update all the board sponsor accounts and it is certainly possible some got overlooked. If you are a board sponsor and cannot access the board sponsor forum, please let me know.

The new software is obviously different in certain areas to the old software, and while I too am still feeling my way around it a bit, I'll try to point out some changes.

View New Content

This link at the top right of the screen (in the bar just above the Google ad) takes you to a page from where you can find all new content at a glance. This includes new posts/threads, but also new members, new calendar entries and new gallary pictures.

Post editor

The post editor has changed as well and allows for more flexibility in how your post is displayed. While it is possible to use different fonts / colors / fontsizes, I would like to ask you to limit their use a bit. I'd imagine reading a thread with every post in a different font / color would get bloody annoying really quick :)

Photo Gallery

The software for this has been installed, but I've not yet created any galleries. I think we'll want to have a bit of discussion on this first to see what we want to create.

Polls

It is now possible to answer all questions in a poll at once. The software also has a setting that allows people to delete their vote. Question: Should I turn this on?

Pictures

Pictures are now displayed as thumbnails by default. Clicking any picture in a post opens a popup slideshow to display all the pictures in the post.

Subscriptions

All threads have a button at the top called 'Watch Topic'. Clicking this will subscribe you to this thread. After subscribing you will be notified of any new posts in that thread.

You can edit your subscriptions by going to My Settings (click the little arrow next to your name in the box at the top right of the screen), then select the Forums tab and click 'Manage Watched Topics'.

Sharing links

At the bottom of each thread are a bunch of small icons, these allow you to share a link to the current page on e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc. The buttons for printing or email a topic are there as well.

Private Messages

You can now send a PM to a member directly from any of their posts. Just click on the envelope icon below their avatar.

Reputation system

The new software also has a reputation system in place and I have kept it turned on for now. It allows members to rate posts up or down (or only 'up' if we prefer).

Mobile skin

There should be a default skin that is optimized for viewing the board through smartphones. Not tried this myself, so no idea if this works.

I'm certain there is quite a bit more, but this post is getting pretty long already, so I suggest you just go and start playing with the new board :)

Sanuk!

PS The wait is now for Jigger to change the server so this board shows up on www.thai360.com, but he is likely still enjoying his well-deserved rest after spending most of his evening on this and even getting up in the middle of the night to check the import and let me know it was done!

Looks good ..well done boys..

Archived