Nong Khai Bars

addo

I would second Jing-Joe Pizza! And the owner will point you in the right direction for whatever you're looking for as well as provide VERY nice rooms to rent

You know you're right!

I've been there too, spent some pre marriage quality time with MLG there...

• 4 years later...

Sigh - I so miss the old days of the treacherous bamboo huts teetering over the Mekong on the Laos side.

Was quite the experience, only a few decent hotels then, the local owned Day Inn, huge ceilings and a bar downstairs with bullet holes in the walls and the coldest Beer Laos. Every second bottle opened would do that freezing thing.

And an American named hotel I forget the name, on the way out to the airport.  It had one of the only disco's in town, apart from Meena on the way out of town, never went to that one.

The water front was a steep slope down into water, with great little set up at night restaurants

Beer was very cheap,

Mali Lamphu wasn't as it is today. A bit of a dump.

The fountain was good though, unspoiled like it is today.

• Like 1

MPIH, there are still a few good "teetering on stilts" places, somewhat downstream of 'the Korean boulevard in the city centre of Vientiane' they're just a little way down the river, prolly a similar distance as Eddie's place.

Mind you, it's been 6 years since I was there :)

• Like 1

Vientiane - Yes, certainly the ones upstream are gone - the ones down stream on the river may or may not, still be there. If you recollect, Eddies place was about 15 minutes by drunken moto, in the back if the suburbs,  so the ones down stream (quite a long way, on the way to Buddha Park) could still be there, but I also think that when I get to go back, the place will be Chinese.

Nong Khai - open air restaurants along the promenade on the bank of the Mekong including Dumsoda's old place, but I'm 6 years since I was there, so that coulda changed :)

I was having a whicky yesterday with a chap who got his own MLG and he was in LOS and Laos in January. A brief few observations:

Pattaya the beach: has been replaced by a convex pile of pristine white sand shipped in from some island somewhere, so in parts you have to walk uphill before you can walk down to the water. Very quiet compared to yesteryear, in the bars, but not closed .

Vientiane: the night market on the boulevard is huge in comparison to the past. There is at least one, teetering on the stilts bar, upstream from the city centre. Though not in easy walking distance. He had no feeling that the place was turning Chinese, as is my fear.