Pc Can't Connect To Internet

khunsanuk

Hi,

One of the PCs in the house, my old one the one the kids use now, refuses to connect to the Internet. The problem seems to be that it cannot get an IP address. Issue appears both when using Windows and Ubuntu which makes me think it is not a software issue, but rather my router or the PC's network card.

My wife's laptop connects to the Internet fine though.

Anyone have a suggestion of what might be the problem, and how to fix it?

Sanuk!

Facing the same problem from time to time. I have 2 laptops, 1 desktop and 1 Google phone. For unknown reasons sometimes one or both 2 laptops just won't connect to the Internet. Restarting the router, network adapter or rebooting does not help. After a while (sometimes less than an hour, sometime up to a whole day) it will just connect again. :dunno:

My observations so far are that it only happens with True as IP provider and when connecting wireless. Never had any problems on my desktop using LAN, neither on my Google phone. It never happened in any other country but then I spend of course most of the time in LOS.

No solution but at least you know you aren't the only one having this problem. ;)

Hi,

Yep, using True as well, and certainly would not rule out them as being the problem. Seems that more often than not they really have no fucking clue as to what they are doing.

In my case the PC is connected to the router by a cable though.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Yep, using True as well, and certainly would not rule out them as being the problem. Seems that more often than not they really have no fucking clue as to what they are doing.

In my case the PC is connected to the router by a cable though.

Sanuk!

Hi,

first check the small wires inside the network socket. Are they all straight? Second try another cable and another socket at your router.

These two options are easy to check but usually not the problem. More likely the network adapter (chip) is dead. It might help to put a simple network card into the computer and try that one.

As you already tried with different OS it's most likely not a software problem.

Hi,

Thanks. Will check the cable tomorrow. Don't think I have a spare cable - and certainly not a spare card - so can't check that.

If the cable is fine I might just buy a new netword card. If memory serves me correctly these are quite cheap, right?

Sanuk!

Hi,

Thanks. Will check the cable tomorrow. Don't think I have a spare cable - and certainly not a spare card - so can't check that.

If the cable is fine I might just buy a new netword card. If memory serves me correctly these are quite cheap, right?

Sanuk!

Yes, they are cheap. So cheap that I do have a bunch of 10/100 Mbit/s cards that just take up space.

Check which kind of socket you have on the mainboard. PCI or maybe PCIe x1.

More likely the DNS didn't work. I don't know much about this - but I would first try to manually assign your computer a local IP (instead of using the DCHP or DHCP) - but to do this you need to know the gateway / DNS - so look on a computer that works to get that info.

Archived