Place In Bkk To Jailbreak (Unlock) And Iphone 3Gs From Us?

dave32

Contract is up on iphone 3GS, gonna try android and use the iphone for stint in LoS. Anyone recommend a place that will unlock it in BKK? Would do it myself, but just witnessed a coworker fuck one up botching his jailbreak so, have no problems taking it someone with experience and giving them a little baht.

Provided that works, could one then go into a 7-11 or mobile phone store and purchase a SIM that includes some sort of prepaid data plan, without signing a contract? (I know you can get phone service/SMS with no problem, not sure how it works with data)

Contract is up on iphone 3GS, gonna try android and use the iphone for stint in LoS. Anyone recommend a place that will unlock it in BKK? Would do it myself, but just witnessed a coworker fuck one up botching his jailbreak so, have no problems taking it someone with experience and giving them a little baht.

Provided that works, could one then go into a 7-11 or mobile phone store and purchase a SIM that includes some sort of prepaid data plan, without signing a contract? (I know you can get phone service/SMS with no problem, not sure how it works with data)

Dave, a couple of points:

If your contract is up, wouldn't the phone be unlocked now by your home mobile provider?

If not, I'm sure you can ask them to unlock the phone for you. I asked my mobile company here in Oz and they did it in 24 hours.

Lots of places on the "mobile phone floor" in MBK (3rd floor) who will unlock it and jailbreak it for you.

BUT BEWARE: Change the settings on your iTunes to **NOT** automatically update your iPhone software. If you try to update your software when a new release comes out, or it does it automatically, iTunes will realise your phone has been jail broken and turn it into an iBrick VERY rapidly!

Annoying and frustrating.

Personally, I would just get the mobile company to unlock it rather than jailbreak it, although others seem to swear by jailbreaking. YMMV.

Jailbreaking generally means you'll be stuck with the current software update on your phone forever, unless I'm mistaken.

Hope this helps a bit!

Piggy.

Jailbreaking generally means you'll be stuck with the current software update on your phone forever, unless I'm mistaken.

Nope, you just have to wait until the latest version of the iOS has been cracked. Usually this takes only a few days or weeks (but I haven't tried it).

Hi,

"Provided that works, could one then go into a 7-11 or mobile phone store and purchase a SIM that includes some sort of prepaid data plan, without signing a contract?"

Quite certain this is possible. One of the kids is using just such a package for his blackberry I think.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Provided that works, could one then go into a 7-11 or mobile phone store and purchase a SIM that includes some sort of prepaid data plan, without signing a contract?"

Quite certain this is possible. One of the kids is using just such a package for his blackberry I think.

Sanuk!

In regard to the iPhen I am not sure, but there might be a difference between unlocking a phone (for to use with other SIM cards) or to jailbreak a phone (for to use non-approved software).

In regard to the iPhen I am not sure, but there might be a difference between unlocking a phone (for to use with other SIM cards) or to jailbreak a phone (for to use non-approved software).

Yes you are right

Unlocking is to remove the phone from a specific carrier

Jailbreaking is to run un-authorised software and generally get access to bits that Apple don't want you to. A must IMHO.

I thoroughly recommend looking at iClarified.com - spend a little time reading and then look through the tutorials.

As mentioned you can brick your phone and "Somchai at Panthip", or no, you should read up on what's involved, so you A/ don't brick it and B/ can take advantage of the myriad of possibilities that Jailbreaking opens up.

I'm using a 3GS jailbroken and it's so useful I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 4, when the iPhone 5 comes out I may still stick with the 3GS, very useful.

Thanks guys.

Moo: one way the US market is lame = AT&T won't unlock it. I'm not sure if it's them or Apple, but, yeah. I'll call direct and confirm tomorrow, but I'm 99.99% sure they won't (I've been wrong before too).

Hence to jailbreak your phone you have to unlock it, so I was combining the two, but you gentlemen are correct in your clarifications.

I'll update how it works out.

Note - it's been a good toy. Already been through two screen replacements (due to abuse by owner, me) and has been used literally every day since I purchased in July 09 -- invaluable for GPS (I work multiple sites in Scal) and remote email access alone.

I'm just curious about a couple Android phones and 4G. If only I could remain faithful.

:)

Archived