Top 10 Myths About Thai Bar Girls

MooNoi

I asked how much she spent on rent. How much on transportation? (Taxis only, of course.) How much on food? When these were deducted, she had almost exactly 1,500 baht left.

Was thinking this just the other night, and I don't think this conundrum is exclusive to Bar Girls. I've noticed people in the West tend to spend according to their income as well, ie the smart ones spend a bit less than they earn, and the lemmings continue to spend more than they earn thanks to magic plastic. Doesn't matter if they earn a pittance or a fortune - it all tends to go, hence we see ex professional sports people start with hundreds of millions in the bank, and end up living back at home with mum.

On the BG's though - I guess the dazzle of the bright lights, and the illusion of "big money" forever lulls them into a false sense of security and they think the good times will never end so why not party now? Sad in a way really.

On the other hand I have met quite a few who continue to live as if they are on a few thousand a month, send some home to mum and bank well over 50% of their earnings. Hats off to them.

On the BG's though - I guess the dazzle of the bright lights, and the illusion of "big money" forever lulls them into a false sense of security and they think the good times will never end so why not party now? Sad in a way really.

On the other hand I have met quite a few who continue to live as if they are on a few thousand a month, send some home to mum and bank well over 50% of their earnings. Hats off to them.

But even the ones who save this much are Thai so, sooner or later, they succumb to 'face' or 'family'. They make a large purchase for face, like a car they don't need or their family finds out how much they have and find ways of spending the savings. So savings rarely last. That's partly why girls spend money when they have it. Because if there's spare cash in the bank, they know the relatives will soon claim it. And the relatives are also sometimes even a reason why girls want a baby. If they haven't got a baby of their own but their siblings have, guess who has to come up with the cash when mother has a gambling debt to pay, dad wants a truck or a brother gets a girl pregnant and needs to come up with money for her parents.

Best stuff about Thai (bar)girls, by the way, is on Thailand Guru.

While I believe that some girls genuinely hate 'working bar' (and some Farang I know genuinely hate working 9-5 in an office ..), many of them do like it for the reasons discussed above. Where it can turn to shit is when alliances change - girls come and go, and their are plenty of undercurrents in any given bar. One of my regulars works Soi 4 carpark precisely because she didnt enjoy this aspect of life in the bar. Everytime I go back, she seems to have a new circle of friends and the old 'circle' have moved on.

Hi Red, this is one where I partially disagree with you. Eh, I don't actually disagree or dispute what you say, but view it a little different.

I see the opposite trend with too many people in the West. They work their asses off their entire life for 'security' which is to a large extent an illusion. They put life off for later or work towards retirement. And then they get cancer or heart problems or in a car accident, and they let life pass by avoiding risk -- for what?

Granted -- I don't think you have to be a fucking reckless kamikaze through life -- but I see too many making sacrifices for security and then regretting it later.

Sometimes you need to plan for the future. And sometimes you need to party and live NOW.

As to myths they all have a little truth and a little bullshit.

I can't wait to be around some BGs again come this November. :)

I also think the point about 'money for themselves and their family' being Priority One is spot on, but then I had a fantastic 'teacher' in this regard. I also agree with earlier posters that they like to 'talk the talk' when it comes to the need to send money home, but often seem to get waylaid on the way to deposit the cash. It seems that others have cunningly placed gold shops, clothing stores and assorted other temptations in their way - who knew ?

The other drain on their finances are their friends, and Ms CP had plenty of 'friends' when she shared my apartment : for some bizarre reason, they seemed to be under the delusion that interest-free loans were going to be handed out like circumcisions at Cedar Sinai.

Most hilarious story on my last trip was about one of the NEP bar staff from days of yore - seems she cant get a bargirl gig in Phuket because she is 'too Poompoi'. Seriously, short of the serious BBW brigade (far better served in Farangland...), I cant imagine anyone getting drunk enough to go there for *free*, much less plying her with ladydrinks all night - great personality, but at the end of the the night most of us want something a little closer to the 'lithe Thai bod' than our large-and-in-charge friend. I also suspect that she wouldnt be popular with the other girls - a real Queen Bee behind the bar, but out in the 'bleachers' things would be different methinks.

* the other question I routinely ask myself is whether I could work in a factory if I were in their shoes. You do what you have to in order to survive, but thats a fairly stark choice.

A lot of generalisations in the article....from my limited experience they are all different in backgrounds and attitude.As for myth no. 2- Thai BG`s not looking for a Prince Charming to rescue them.IME many are looking for exactly this.

Yes. Generalisation usually constitute along the lines with myths and stereotypes. Most, of which, is directed towards the subject matter at hand. Thai girls - bargirls or not.

Archived