Debit Card Weirdness ...

gobbledonk

I have a Mastercard 'Debit' card through my bank here in Oz, and I can use it as a 'Credit' card when paying for things like airfares. I recently paid for an airfare with BA using said card, checked my Netbank and the transaction was listed as 'Pending'. No problem, but when I checked my account today there was no indication that the money had been deducted from my account - my 'Available Balance' was the same as it would have been prior to the 'credit card' transaction. My experience in the past with my debit card is that the bank pays Mastercard, puts a hold on the funds in my account, and makes the deduction in its own sweet time. In this case, there is no record at all of the final 'deduction' from my account. Had I withdrawn the balance, I'm sure I would have been hit with an Overdraft fee when the mystery transaction eventually comes through ....

Has anyone else experienced similar weirdness ? No problem when it works out in my favour, but I'd be less than thrilled if it went the other way.

Predictably, the money disappeared early today, with the sting in the tail being that the AUD amount converts to over 1,000 baht more than the price I 'paid' for my ticket - the delay was long enough to see the AUD fall against the baht. Personally, I think that is crap - the currency calculation should have taken place the instant I pressed 'Confirm' on my payment : clearly, that didnt happen. Lesson learned, and I guess a thousand baht isnt a colossal amount of money in the grand scheme of things, although the transaction fee charged by my bank on top of the Mastercard charge really rubbed salt into the wound.

Archived