Dental Implants

togaduke

We're talking implants, i.e., implant post and then attach crown rather than attach crown to remains of existing tooth.

You could get the implant in at your place of residence and get the crown in LOS.

I am thinking of doing so. One major reason: I already got an implant, and that was an experience which I do not want to have during holiday. It is a serious operation which can force you to stay at home (hotel room) with a lot of pain killers for 3-4 days. And of course something can go wrong (infection, e.g.) and I don't want this happen to me during a stay in LOS neither.

I was wondering if it was a crown or implant the OP's after, too.

With an implant, I believe they actually put a titanium peg in your jawbone to fix the new tooth to, as opposed to a crown, where they file down the old tooth and stick a crown on top.

I also had a crown once, not a pleasant experience. :closemouth:

I was wondering if it was a crown or implant the OP's after, too.

With an implant, I believe they actually put a titanium peg in your jawbone to fix the new tooth to, as opposed to a crown, where they file down the old tooth and stick a crown on top.

I also had a crown once, not a pleasant experience. :closemouth:

Yep, for an implant they cut your gum and drill a hole in your jawbone. Of course it takes some time until the gum/jawbone is healed and it takes ca. 8 weeks until they can screw a new tooth in the implant (which takes just a minute or so).

• 2 months later...

The typical cost of dental implants rangers from $1,250 up to $3,000 each, but the total cost can escalate to $15,000-$30,000 depending on location, complexity and the need for bone or gum restoration work, according to DentalResources.com.Many dentists provide financing because most insurance doesn't cover implants.

You could get the implant in at your place of residence and get the crown in LOS.

I am thinking of doing so. One major reason: I already got an implant, and that was an experience which I do not want to have during holiday. It is a serious operation which can force you to stay at home (hotel room) with a lot of pain killers for 3-4 days. And of course something can go wrong (infection, e.g.) and I don't want this happen to me during a stay in LOS neither.

I've had an implant done in Thailand.

I did mine in Hua Hin.

No problems whatsoever.

The full treatment.

Cost me about 70,000 baht all-in with antibiotics.

The worst bit was the needle going into the roof of my mouth (upper pallet) for the injection.

I've posted my experiences on here somewhere, not sure whereabouts though as it was years ago.

Here's some links off-hand that will give you an idea of what's what:

http://www.ontheroadthailand.com/Weekly%20Columns/WCMeetingDrDrill.htm

http://www.ontheroadthailand.com/Weekly%20Columns/WCMeetingDrDrill2.htm

http://www.ontheroadthailand.com/Weekly%20Columns/WCMeetingDrDrill3.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The typical cost of dental implants rangers from $1,250 up to $3,000 each, but the total cost can escalate to $15,000-$30,000 depending on location, complexity and the need for bone or gum restoration work, according to DentalResources.com.Many dentists provide financing because most insurance doesn't cover implants.

7 implants, all back teeth, done in Japan, 50K US$. The surrounding work was about 10K US$, covered by national JP insurance.

(Taxation office refunded me 10K US$)

No knife, no blood, "driven implants". I opted for full anesthesia, a special doctor came in for that part.

The operation started 10am, at noon i was at my office, had a lunch after that. Like nothing happened. The implants feel like nothing - like my own teeth

Thai clinics do it in a traditional way (knife and blood) and only several of them where you are on a conveyer.

Unless you live in Thai, forget it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thai clinics do it in a traditional way (knife and blood) and only several of them where you are on a conveyer.

Unless you live in Thai, forget it.

What a bluster!

Don't but such a girl and man-up!

The knife procedure isn't without anaesthetic so to make such an assumption is innane.

You can be here for as little as 2 - 3 months and it's accommodating any less than that and it might be a bit tight...

I stand by my treatment and recommend it to anyone, except possibly the frail of heart of course :)

What a bluster!

Don't but such a girl and man-up!

The knife procedure isn't without anaesthetic so to make such an assumption is innane.

You can be here for as little as 2 - 3 months and it's accommodating any less than that and it might be a bit tight...

I stand by my treatment and recommend it to anyone, except possibly the frail of heart of course :)

What is inane? Chosing blodless, knifeless procedure over a traditional one?

Are you telling me that you would still go under knife with cuts, blood, cross-stiches if you had a choice?

Anaestethic of course and when can you eat? I ate 2 hours after 3 implants (under anaesthesia) were driven in.

For 1 tooth, maybe, 2-3 months stay in Thai OK. For more (even for 1) you wear some temporary crowns first 3-5 months. Then, when the implant is accepted, the doctor makes a permanent crown.

What if there is an infection?

Knife based procedure is million times more prone to that.

Back to farangland, who do you complain if something went wrong? Even if in Thai, they would barely know who you were, by registration number assigned to you on the conveyer. Would they know you personally and remember what they did? Would they fuck.

A barber (during the day) and dentists (evenings) gets young dentists to moonlight from 6-8pm in his shop. I did a few minor things there. They have "dental implant consultancy service", they will hook you up and send to some of few clinics actually doing that. The barber is at Rama IV, about 200m before it goes into Sukhumvit, right side, Phrakhanong.

That shop or a bigger one (even BIDC, been there first and they made me forget about doing it in Thailand) would do the same - send you to one of 2 (or now 3) places that actually do the work and where whoever cut you would not know who you were not even who sent you and how they recommended what is to be done.

To whom you complain if something went wrong? CTC scanners on hand?

Give me a break. For those who really want it on the cheap, google for Taiwanese Dr. Chan, he does whole jaw in 1 hour. Technically possible but what after that?

In short: Thais are masters in elective surgery, they may have introduced that "driven implants" method.

If one can find that and CTC scanner in the same surgery, go for it. In Thai must be cheaper than in Japan. Still, knowing what is involved, I would not travel for that to Thai, maybe if I had 2-3 months and 1 tooth to fix. More than 1, you may have to do it where you live.

Archived