Patpong

unit731

I visited Patpong on my first trip to Thailand. Many years or decades ago.

And never returned as I visited more local venues such as NanaPlaza and Soi Cowboy.

The last trip to Thailand we did take a taxi to Patpong. And although at the same location I made the comment that these buildings seemed much newer construction then my earlier memories.

Are the building there today the same buildings that always comprised Patpong? Was Patpong ever torn down and rebuilt?

It's possible that alcohol and age have distorted my mind.

I've been going to Patpong for over 20 years and, other than the occupancy of the buildings, not that much has changed.

However speaking to a mate the other night who lives there he was saying that the buildings opposite The French Kiss (PP2) looked new. Of course that probably was the drink talking.

Munchy, I still think there are a LOT more street stalls than I recall on my first trip in the early noughties - again, that could be the drink talking. When I first came here, many of the board's more vocal expats loathed the Pong - within 5 years, many of the same people were fans. Beats me - I dont go out of my way to 'rediscover' Patpong when there are other options. It remains the only 'nightlife precinct' in Thailand in the minds of many middle-aged Australians who have found themselves in Thailand on/after business trips - possibly because 'Patpong' rhymes so neatly with 'ping-pong' : those gals have a lot to answer for.

• 2 weeks later...

Munchy, I still think there are a LOT more street stalls than I recall on my first trip in the early noughties - again, that could be the drink talking. When I first came here, many of the board's more vocal expats loathed the Pong - within 5 years, many of the same people were fans. Beats me - I dont go out of my way to 'rediscover' Patpong when there are other options. It remains the only 'nightlife precinct' in Thailand in the minds of many middle-aged Australians who have found themselves in Thailand on/after business trips - possibly because 'Patpong' rhymes so neatly with 'ping-pong' : those gals have a lot to answer for.

Hit Patpong (early evening) yesterday for the first time in about 8 months; I was surprised at both how many staff were in the bars *and* how many customers there were (especially for low season)...it didn't have that wounded and slowly dying feeling it gets sometimes. Beers were a quite reasonable 60 baht for happy hour in Madrid (granted, the downside to that is, you have to sit in Madrid to drink them, haha)...however they were an UNreasonable 100 at one of the bar beers on the other soi. Cosmos, another unique Patpong favorite of mine, was hopping and for once the girls were actually friendly...then I finished up at Safari (barfined a regular for transport to Cowboy, where we picked up another girl), which had a surprising number of hot girls and was a ton of fun...again, one of my favorite PP places and can get really hands-on with the right crowd of girls, but the last few times I went in there it was deserted, low on staff and rather depressing. Decor is still great in that unselfconsciously tacky way, they've even added some baby tigers (on swings!?) to go with the big ones.

Anyway, I rarely do Patpong more than once a trip, but I've always had a fond spot for it and I'm glad to see there's still some life in it. I know it's popular to hate Patpong, but keep this in mind: every other farang-oriented bar area in Bangkok is on prime development land and is eventually doomed to become a mall or hotel; Patpong will most likely stay what it is, for better or worse, long after Nana and Cowboy are just memories...

....Cosmos, another unique Patpong favorite of mine, was hopping and for once the girls were actually friendly...

Cosmos is a favourite bar of mine as well and I know what you mean about the girls there. Sometimes very friendly and sometimes you wonder if youre invisible!

...then I finished up at Safari (barfined a regular for transport to Cowboy, where we picked up another girl), which had a surprising number of hot girls and was a ton of fun...again, one of my favorite PP places and can get really hands-on with the right crowd of girls, but the last few times I went in there it was deserted, low on staff and rather depressing. Decor is still great in that unselfconsciously tacky way, they've even added some baby tigers (on swings!?) to go with the big ones.

Ahhh, Safari Bar. Was a regular venue for me and my mates back in the 90's but over the years went gradually down hill. I still pop in occassionally for old times sake but it's nothing like as good as it used to be. Used to have some very sexy girls (bar fined quite a few of them in my time) dancing with their nipple pasties. Also they used to play great rock music. For a few years the DJ used to always play Ram Jam's Black Betty and Black Sabbath's Paranoid within a few minutes of me entering the bar!

Anyway, I rarely do Patpong more than once a trip, but I've always had a fond spot for it and I'm glad to see there's still some life in it. I know it's popular to hate Patpong, but keep this in mind: every other farang-oriented bar area in Bangkok is on prime development land and is eventually doomed to become a mall or hotel; Patpong will most likely stay what it is, for better or worse, long after Nana and Cowboy are just memories...

Patpong always was and still is my favourite venue, although I do like Cowboy as well, and I like the fact that others don't like it. :up:

When I go to Patpong I generally go to one of the dives like Star of Light where I am not pestered to buy drinks and drinks, etc.

Isn't that because the gals have your cock in their mouth and hence can't drink? :neener:

Of course Star of Light isn't actually a "bar" and also Patpong is not known for the girls pestering the punters for drunks, unlike other areas. :up:

I've been going to Patpong for over 20 years and, other than the occupancy of the buildings, not that much has changed.

However speaking to a mate the other night who lives there he was saying that the buildings opposite The French Kiss (PP2) looked new. Of course that probably was the drink talking.

I think next trip I'll have to allocate an afternoon to preparing a photographic record of Patpong. Every bar, every business, every view, every angle. :hmmm: might take more than one afternoon to do properly.

I did wander around Washington Square a couple of trips ago taking pictures of all the bars and bar signs. Glad I did now that some have closed.

Archived