Does It Really Work?

sayjann

in 2002 an old schoolfriend(i will call him J)of mine visited me for a week on phuket after trekking in the himalayas.

he was enchanted by pattaya and phuket and returned again and on his third trip persuaded another friend of ours(i will call him P)to go with him.

P was soon back and fell in love with a lady,and with his redundancy cash returned and helped buy a bar in pattaya with her running it.

but he returned to the UK and i heard from his brother that it had gone tits up with her still in thailand and him still in the uk.

i don't know many facts of that relationship,but to me it would be the last thing i would ever do.

J met a lady and bought her to the uk and threw his partner of over 20 years out of the house and moved the thai in.

he is now selling up all his interests in the uk and moving to thailand with his lady.

i have no idea if he has any business plans or just plans to grow old.

i only get sketchy reports every couple of months about the 2 of them so i don't know how reliable they are but as they come from family members i tend to believe them.

i have'nt J since 2008 and i saw P last year for about 5 minutes and never got round to hearing the truth.

there are many members on this board who have married bg's/gtg's and i know some have had good marriages and others not so good.

after only 10 years visiting thailand i would'nt marry and bring a thai to the uk,it's great for a fun-filled holiday but.............

i'm off to phuket soon and have a bit of cash and am thinking of approaching a good friend about maybe getting involved in one of his various busineses.

i could easily stay in thailand for a while and have a job,i know the pay would be crap and i would have to say goodbye to the bar scene because of wages.

but i would be happy with a lady and seeing if it would work if i stayed in thailand.

what are your thoughts?

Just read the books, no need to buy the library ... even Thai girls don't want/need marriage, those are the ones to pick :beer:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the books, no need to buy the library ... even Thai girls don't want/need marriage, those are the ones to pick :beer:

no need to give me advice,i have enough experience to know better.

just a story of 2 friends who fell for the dream and i just wonder how things will turn out?.

no need to give me advice,i have enough experience to know better.

just a story of 2 friends who fell for the dream and i just wonder how things will turn out?.

Well, if you know, why bother to want to know the result, your own experience should dictate the answer or it could just be like the flip of a coin :beer:

• 1 month later...

:beer:

my 2 friends who i started this thread about are still unavailable for me to see their point of view.

but a new scenario has arisen in the last few days.

one of my neighbours is moving to thailand.

he was a frequent visitor in the past and met a girl/got her pregnant/and they have a 4 year old daughter.

we've talked but it's hard as he knows it all and won't listen to a voice who might make some sense.

it seems he lost a great deal of cash setting her up in a business which floundered.

he is a highly skilled tradesman earning around £60,000 a year in the uk and thinks that due to his expertise it will be no problem getting a job in thailand on the same sort of cash which i think is quite improbable for a foreigner doing buildin work(but i may be wrong?).

he has never seen his daughter except for pics on e-mail etc and his girl has always maintained that she has moved back up country to her hometown and leads a life looking after the child and doing part-time work when she can.

how does he know the child is his? and how much of the truth he is being told.

i really fear for my friend as he is a great friend and will do anything for anyone if asked.

all i know he is going to thailand with around 180,000bt and thinks that will be enough for him to settle down and lead a comfortable life until he gets sorted out.

personally i think he is a total fool and very misguided and misinformed about what his girl tells him.

HH

I used to spend 100K+ / Month just as an expat resident, mortgage / rent, utilities bills, running a car, nights out with mates (no bar fines or lady drinks) occasional weekends away etc, last expat contract I had in Thailand we got 55,000 Baht allowance on top of salary and that was 3 years ago now.

Now I have stopped drinking due to health reasons I obviously spend a lot less on day to day living, but even so with rent, utilities, groceries etc 35K / month is minimum I could live on without going up the walls.

As for health, I hope your friend has good medical insurance Sajaan, health care is top notch in Thailand but it does not come cheap, with my stay in ICU after heart seizure and ongoing treatment for HBV my medical bill is fast approaching 250,000 Baht, fortunately I have BUPA coverage and have done so for the past 20 years.

I live very modestly, but even so I spend around 30,000 a month. And that is speaking Thai and getting Thai prices. My Mrs pays all of her own expenses too. But 180,000 baht may not last this fellow more than a couple of months, unless he plans to cut out all of the nightlife and learn to live like a Thai, especially with a woman who is going to be sticking her hand out often.

I hope he has checked out "his" child rather carefully. I remember a BG who was getting child support from 4 different "fathers". In fact, she had no child at all and borrowed one from a friend to show to its "father" when they visited. :p

Archived