Does It Really Work?

sayjann

TELL HIM NOT LET HER GET HER HANDS ON HIS BANK ACCOUNT.

Two many stories of a Mrs cleaning out her guy's account when he wasn't around. He should have her set up a bank account and then deposit however much he feels she'd need each month (say 30,000 - plenty for a Thai).

p.s. He may be able to find some work under the radar at times ... until a jealous Thai competitor fingers him to the police. That sort of thing does happen.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TELL HIM NOT LET HER GET HER HANDS ON HIS BANK ACCOUNT.

Two many stories of a Mrs cleaning out her guy's account when he wasn't around. He should have her set up a bank account and then deposit however much he feels she'd need each month (say 30,000 - plenty for a Thai).

p.s. He may be able to find some work under the radar at times ... until a jealous Thai competitor fingers him to the police. That sort of thing does happen.

Yeah, very sound advice. If you're going to give your "Thai girlfriend" or "Thai wife" access to any of your funds, definitely isolate the funds in an account intended only for her consumption (and I DO mean "consumption," hahaha)...never, NEVER, EVER give any other human who is not yourself the PIN (or online password) to your main personal bank account...!!!

Five or six years ago, it was in the news about a Brit in his 60s who put his life savings - over 6 million baht - into a joint account with his ex-BG wife. He returned from a visit to the UK to find she had disappeared, leaving him only 1,500 baht in his account. Not only that, his condo and car were in her name too - and she sold them both! The guy had no place to live and nothing to live on.

The police told him they could do nothing about it, since he had made her the legal owner of everything. She had broken no laws by cleaning him out.

Wonder how long it took the Mrs to go through that money? A year or two maybe ... :hmmm:

The same thought had crossed my mind, reading between the lines he will be setting up home in the Isaan dust bowl where stereotypically a large proportion of farang expats are living with / married to women who have had previous associations with the nightlife scene, it is a very close knit community and who is going to let a farang waltz in and take work / money away from brothers and cousins etc.standing in other peoples rice bowls is not a good idea.

Then there is the basic economics of it all, he will need a pick up truck which is an initial outlay of at least 300K and running costs of 3,000 / month just for insurance and one tank of fuel. You say he proposes to carry out part time work, well in order to hit the hypothetical 30,000 THB / Month even working 3 days / week he will need to make 2,500 Baht / day and this is in the region where the Thai minimum wage is 171 Baht / day and skilled labour can be got for 500 Baht / 10 hour day maximum, who is going to pay five times over the odds for a farang especially since it is the female that usually holds the purse strings.

Also there is the visa to consider, as mentioned on other threads 12 Month tourist visa's are still being issued by the Thai Consulate in Hull but then what, if he is the father is his name on the สูติบัตร (Birth Certificate), if so he can apply for non-imm O based on supporting a Thai relative which requires a trip out of Thailand to change visa from tourist to non-imm O then 400,000 BHT in Thai bank account for 3 months prior to application for 12 months extension to stay. I very much doubt that he is registered father on the สูติบัตร (Birth Certificate) so that leaves the option of non-inn O retirement visa and 800K, but of course you cannot work on a retirement visa.

I'd give him 2 years maximum in Thailand before he was back home in UK with about 5,000 GBP to his name and his tail between his legs, personally I would not consider such a venture unless I had 370,000 GBP behind me let alone 37,000, it will all end in tears.

my mistake..... :doah:

i meant 1,800,000bt which is around £37,000.

he is just convinced he will get a good job in his trade and everything will be rosy.

Maybe you show your friend this thread. But it might break the friendship, if he doesn't want to see the reality neither in regard to his Thai GF and for expats in LOS.

he was a frequent visitor in the past and met a girl/got her pregnant/and they have a 4 year old daughter.

... he has never seen his daughter except for pics on e-mail etc and his girl has always maintained that she has moved back up country to her hometown

A four year old daughter he has never seen? This looks extremely strange to me.

I guess most fathers want to see their kid at least once (personally I would try to see her as much as possible). And mothers want the father to see the kid - at least for financial gains. It seems that this guy belongs to the extremely trusting group of lads - he almost probably arrived in LOS with a sign around his neck which said: "Take me to the cleaners".

The limited information you gave us is enough to know that this guy is walking straight into a personal and financial disaster. Hopefully he will emerge from it not too damaged, after the reality has hit him hard in the face.

sorry i forgot to mention that he does keep in touch on skype and normally chats 3-4 times a week,so he doe's 'know her' to a certain extent.

i have no idea of his gf's background,wether she worked in the bar scene or not,all i know is that she lives on koh samui.

he was a regular visitor to thailand over the years so kind off knew the scene or so he says.

but there is breaking news.........

he rents a room in a neighbours house and has done for years and i was chatting to his landlady just now and it seems his plans have changed,he is now thinking of bringing the mother and daughter to live in the uk with him.

it seems this has not gone down well with the owners of the house,they are adament that his gf/daughter are not welcome to move into the house.

i can see pros and cons of his new thinking.

yes he will have to find somewhere to live if the 'family' manage to get into the uk but he will be able to support them and give them fairly comfortable lives.

i gather the thais have fatrly good english language skills which of course is a big help.

but i am always hesitant about how they would adapt to a very different country/culture.

of course they might settle in very quickly and love their new surroundings.

but there are hardly any thais in my part of the world and certainly no largish thai community and they might soon miss out on their own people and become to feel lonely.

but on the other hand there won't be anyone whispering in their ear and saying that could improve their lives if they done this/that and maybe turning their heads.

i could certainly live the thai way but i always wonder how things must look/be different to them when they realise how different the countries are and what to them seems normal in everyday life is nowhere to be seen in the uk or very expensive.

we know what is taken for granted in thailand and it's mostly simple things and easily found,but in the uk...........

Archived