Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

OK, I still have two years left in this Farang hellhole, but you dont have to be a Rhodes Scholar to see that BKK is expensive if you cant discipline yourself to staying away from the Farang bars, and that is my exact fear. My initial 3 month stint was characterised by the intake of more alcohol than I had imbibed in the previous 3-5 years ....

Given that I dont handle cold weather, I guess that rules out Udon and Chiang Mai. Hua Hin seems like a halfway-house between the madness of BKK and the monotony of somewhere like Chumphon, but I've never spent more than two nights there at any one time (!). I've also considered Rayong a possibility - far enough away from the Pattaya scene to save a few baht, but still large enough to (possibly) have some life after 5pm. I realise I need to learn Thai (no, really, this time I'll actually go to the classes ...) to survive in a town like that.

Suggestions ?

(I'm not going to nominate a budget - lets just say I wont be spending 100k baht a month. The upside of that kind of spending is that I wont have to spend too long experiencing the trials of old age ;) ).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I still have two years left in this Farang hellhole, but you dont have to be a Rhodes Scholar to see that BKK is expensive if you cant discipline yourself to staying away from the Farang bars, and that is my exact fear. My initial 3 month stint was characterised by the intake of more alcohol than I had imbibed in the previous 3-5 years ....

Given that I dont handle cold weather, I guess that rules out Udon and Chiang Mai. Hua Hin seems like a halfway-house between the madness of BKK and the monotony of somewhere like Chumphon, but I've never spent more than two nights there at any one time (!). I've also considered Rayong a possibility - far enough away from the Pattaya scene to save a few baht, but still large enough to (possibly) have some life after 5pm. I realise I need to learn Thai (no, really, this time I'll actually go to the classes ...) to survive in a town like that.

Suggestions ?

(I'm not going to nominate a budget - lets just say I wont be spending 100k baht a month. The upside of that kind of spending is that I wont have to spend too long experiencing the trials of old age ;) ).

I do not remember Chiang Mai or Udon getting cold in the "winter". Cool maybe, but not cold. I had good times in both locales.

Its all relative - I have felt 'cold' at night as far north as Cairns at certain times of the year. The girls I knew in Udon told me that it can drop to zero deg C in Winter - I think that might have been an exaggeration, given the latitude and modest elevation, but anything below 15 deg C isnt on my list of 'preferred locations' in my old age ! ;)

I think 0 degrees is def. an exageration, :snowgrin: up on the summit on Doi Sutep ( highest peak in the region ) there are bananas and Poinsettia growing.These wiil not survive at temps below c.3-5 deg. C.Back to the original question,as an expat not tied to a job you will have a lot of freedom to move around so why not spend a few months in different locations and see which is best.... as regards climate I would say the best place is somewhere in the far North :twocents: ....yes it can get chilly in the evenings but it makes a good contast to the heat of the day and doesnt have the humidity of somewhere like Pattaya.

.... as regards climate I would say the best place is somewhere in the far North :twocents: ....yes it can get chilly in the evenings but it makes a good contast to the heat of the day and doesnt have the humidity of somewhere like Pattaya.

I have to agree, a bit of contrast in weather / temperature is good rather than the same all year round, as long as the contrasts aren't too extreme.

I'm happy with Chiang Rai but possibly regret not including a fireplace when I built my house.

There's any amount of wood lying around waiting to be collected by anyone with a chainsaw.

So it does get cool, 0c is very rare but night time temps of 8-9c aren't uncommon.

The Mrs handles it with flannelette pyjamas which are actually quite cute. (And keep all the important bits warm). :hubbahubba:

Do I need to get out my renowned "snow in Chiang Rai" pics again or has everyone seen them?

Hi,

I have to agree, a bit of contrast in weather / temperature is good rather than the same all year round, as long as the contrasts aren't too extreme.

Agree as well, one of the things I miss from back home is the seasons. The weather in Bangkok is almost always the same, hot & dry or hot & wet.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Agree as well, one of the things I miss from back home is the seasons. The weather in Bangkok is almost always the same, hot & dry or hot & wet.

Sanuk!

Cmon KS - I've heard about the legendary 'cold snap' that descends on BKK for about a week each year, leaving the locals shivering and wondering if there might actually be something to this talk of 'climate change' ;)

I ran into a Pom at KLIA who expressed similar sentiments about missing the seasons, and I agree that constant heat and humidity saps your energy, but I wont miss our Winter and its not a patch on Northern Europe. Snuggled up in my bed last night watching 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', I felt for the Blomqvist character as he waded through snow and icy rain. Screw that.

Archived