Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted 'laid back and quite', I could go back to Lang Suan, but thats the ridiculous end of the spectrum. The local resort owner was so happy to see a Farang that he gave me an extensive tour of both his resorts - beautifully developed and, from what I could see, completely unoccupied. I left him with assurances that *next time* I wouldnt be staying at the dumpy place down the road for 800 baht a night when he had rooms for 1500 ;)

I know there are parts of the 'outer Pattaya' where people live normal lives well away from Walking St and the bars, but I doubt that I would have the self-discipline to sit at home and watch Thai soaps when I knew there was so much going on 'just down the road'. The eight weeks I spent in Patts was definitely an eye opener - I'm sure there are many kilometres still to be explored.

Every little city has its knocking shops and probably a "massage parlour". Then there are always the restaurants with "available waitresses", not to mention the karaoke bars. Upcounty life is not as boring as people think. When I was a young fella, I also became acquainted with the local "GAI" - the teenage bad girls who like to screw. Better be careful with that though. I found out with shock that one gal I'd been dallying with had been only 15! (I'd thought she was 18 or 19.)

One of the realities of 'teenage bad girls' everywhere is that they attract teenage bad boys (to be fair, how many of us wanted to be known as 'good boys' in our teens ?), and that is one group I dont particularly want chasing me down a dark alley in Udon. There is also the spectre of the irate father - I dont know how common that is in Thailand, but there is a Malaysian-Chinese gentlemen in Brisbane who would still like to cut my testicles off and grill them at his restaurant. She might have been 22, completely up for it and totally unrepentant, but she was still 'daddys little girl'. Lesson learnt ;)

Udon really is a good town to spend time in. Good restos, Has a mall. A booming night market. The nightlife is much better than expected. I have found some knockout ladies there. Laos is just across the river. Decent expat population.

Spend a couple weeks at the Royal C Hotel adjacent to the mall. It should not take long to see the goodness.

Yeah it's not bad but I'd live in Nong Khai if I had to live in the North East and go down to Udon for shopping etc.

Given the choice of Udon or Chiang Mai I'd live in Chiang Mai...

I would need to spend a few more weeks in Chiang Mai before I would make a stab at it. The few days I was there were not boring and the cooler air was a welcome relief from the South.

There seems to be far more expats in CM than Udon.

You can buy virtually anything your farang heart desires there and there is a selection of women covering a wide range of ethnic groups from almost pure white Chinese from the Koumintang mountain communities to their small dark hills tribe neighbours.

The restaurants are first class and an ongoing argument (for years) in the local forum is where to get the best Mexican food.

Archived