Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep ... tuk-tuks are sort of minibuses. They were the only buses we had in my town and ran "flexible routes", depending on where the riders wanted to go. They were also cheap, unlike their Bangkok counterparts.

Hey, I'm the mug who routinely gives Songthaew drivers 60 baht because I cant be bothered trying to decipher what the hell the actual fare is (as soon as someone says 'sip ha baht' my eyes glaze over).

They might be called 'baht buses', but I suspect the 10 baht fare is long gone. As for the tuk-tuk brigade, the CM variant seemed to be every bit as keen to fleece tourists as your average Suk layabout. Dont even get me started on the drivers who hang around the front of Pantip ...

True - they dont like it when you start talking them down, but I just point to the next guy in the queue. When I did this in CM 18 months back, Ms CP looked surprised, half whispering 'You're good !' as the tuk-tuk driver started cursing on our way out of the carpark. Someone here mentioned that they do a much better job haggling than their Thai partner, because they arent risking face by offering less than the seller initially seems willing to accept - I dont argue over 10 baht, and I catch baht buses so rarely that it doesnt worry me, but I rarely accept a tuk-tuk driver's initial estimate.

Not entirely sure that I want to be this close to a rather wild looking river, but here in Oz people pay big money for something like this:

http://www.lannarealty.com/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=497

Looks great until you realise it's only got 1 bedroom! Who builds a 160m2 house with only 1 bedroom?! :dunno:

Looks great until you realise it's only got 1 bedroom! Who builds a 160m2 house with only 1 bedroom?! :dunno:

Agree that seems a bit weird (!), but then I'll only need one bedroom. Possibly with a very large, round bed to accommodate all of my guests - I may need some mirrors installed on the ceiling and .... doh ! ks will shoot me if I dont move the rest of my act to Nightlife. Permanently.

Try Thai style wierd ... my landlord built a new 3-bedroom house in the compound. The bedrooms were all upstairs. When we looked at the house, we immediately noticed that instead of an external connecting corridor, you had to walk through the first bedroom to get to the second, and both bedrooms to get to the third. The rooms were arranged like an old fashioned "shotgun house". :p

Archived