Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

Ah, you never read the post properly Gobbley one.

The key phrase was "provincial cities", where tuktuk drivers still consider their principal task is to transport people from point A to point B. B)

I received so many warnings about Tuk-tuks I would've sooner shot myself in the face than plant my bottom in one. In Bangkok. That was until Chiang Mai, where I took them a lot, and got a good rate. Of course I had a Thai companion, but that doesn't make a difference, I mean... they can see I'm a shrewd American right? :rotfl: (btw - I got fleeced on my very first cab ride in LOS :bang: and didn't even know it till a few weeks later when I caught a metered cab back to the airport).

btw - Chiang Rai. For a n00b Americano who doesn't know shit from shinola - but is curious to see it. You have any input? I'll be in CM for roughly a week - thinking about making the exploratory trek to CR for a day/night. This time I'll be solo and the lack of a nightlife is def....ehhhh.... I don't know. Unless I do some exhausting hiking during the day and don't give a shit. Anyway I'll run a couple searches but -- if you have any input. Well....

Hey.

:)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy bus trip from Chiang Mai, an hour or two only, but I haven't been there in years. Amphoe Muang CR nowadays has a small bar strip. Wonder if the backpackers visit it, since I don't think Joe Cummings recommends gogo bars. (He doesn't recommend anything that is fun.)

J2 is the CR man. PM him for details.

Forgot to address the topic at hand --> And my .02 here is worth about .000001.

Retirement is not option on the table for me, but a sustained period of travel or living abroad is. However, IF I was ever going to retire in LoS, based on what I've experienced up to this point --> it would be close between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. CM would probably get the nod if there were fewer obnoxious backpackers all over the place.

Chiang Rai is a nice small city with a bit of night life.

A couple of the hotels have massage available and there's karaoke and a couple of small bar areas.

I'm happy (and careful) at home so I don't stray but I have a night out with my neighbour and visitors occasionally and there seems to be plenty of girls around.

It's more like 3 hours on the bus from CM (200kms), I'd personally recommend hiring a car for a few days.

I received so many warnings about Tuk-tuks I would've sooner shot myself in the face than plant my bottom in one. In Bangkok. That was until Chiang Mai, where I took them a lot, and got a good rate. Of course I had a Thai companion, but that doesn't make a difference, I mean... they can see I'm a shrewd American right? :rotfl: (btw - I got fleeced on my very first cab ride in LOS :bang: and didn't even know it till a few weeks later when I caught a metered cab back to the airport).

btw - Chiang Rai. For a n00b Americano who doesn't know shit from shinola - but is curious to see it. You have any input? I'll be in CM for roughly a week - thinking about making the exploratory trek to CR for a day/night. This time I'll be solo and the lack of a nightlife is def....ehhhh.... I don't know. Unless I do some exhausting hiking during the day and don't give a shit. Anyway I'll run a couple searches but -- if you have any input. Well....

Hey.

:)

Its been 5+ years since I've been to CM/CR.

Was worth the trip, for sure!

Stayed at a medium priced hotel, 1000 Baht/night.

Hired a car/driver and he was excellent!

Everything arranged with a local BKK travel agent.

Did all the tourist things; Wats, elephant farm/shows, visit to the umbrella factory (fun to see), etc.

In CR made a visit to the Opium Museum, quite interesting.

At least one time, I recommend a trip to CM/CR.

I know the grass is always so much greener, but right now I envy every single Farang, retired or otherwise, who has managed to make it to a warmer climate without the need to face another Winter. After a couple of very nice days, its back to freezing my butt off - my only consolation is that we are a lot closer to Spring than anyone north of the equator. :neener:

One day at a time, Gobble, one day at a time.

I know the grass is always so much greener, but right now I envy every single Farang, retired or otherwise, who has managed to make it to a warmer climate without the need to face another Winter. After a couple of very nice days, its back to freezing my butt off - my only consolation is that we are a lot closer to Spring than anyone north of the equator. :neener:

One day at a time, Gobble, one day at a time.

:yeahthat:

It's not freezing, but it is sort of soggy here. I got hit by a sample of Noah's Flood yesterday on the way home - a heavy thunder storm that lasted well over an hour. By the time I got home, I looked like I'd been swimming in the klong. The sois were flooded and my was kitchen soaked.

Other than that the weather is great. :)

Chiang Rai is a nice small city with a bit of night life.

A couple of the hotels have massage available and there's karaoke and a couple of small bar areas.

I'm happy (and careful) at home so I don't stray but I have a night out with my neighbour and visitors occasionally and there seems to be plenty of girls around.

It's more like 3 hours on the bus from CM (200kms), I'd personally recommend hiring a car for a few days.

Thanks Julian, btw - was also told the same thing about hiring a car from someone else who's been there several times. Sounds the route to go.

Archived