Retiring In The Provinces ....

gobbledonk

Will do sir. And if I make it that way, and it's a good chance I will -- pledge a solemn oath to try not to be a bad influence. Or too much of an obnoxious American (ok, I admit that first part was sarcastic, :), second part wasn't though - ask KS or flash, I'm fairly low key and mello off the forum).

Regardless of all that though, appreciate the offer and input. :up:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty mellow myself and after three years off the booze I've lapsed to the point where I'll have one or two of an evening so the big nights are a thing of the past.

I'll look forward to finally meeting someone from Thai360, I know about 20 people from ThaiVisa.com but never met anyone from here.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I still have two years left in this Farang hellhole, but you dont have to be a Rhodes Scholar to see that BKK is expensive if you cant discipline yourself to staying away from the Farang bars, and that is my exact fear.

Granted I don't know what your personal finances are, nor your love life (and I hasten to add - I don't want to know), but I think I can fairly safely base a few assumptions on your above statement.

(i) You would like to retire to a provincial Thai town after two years;

(ii) You feel you can't discipline yourself;

(iii) You would appear to miss 'Farang' conversation.

(iv) There is no serious paramour (Lol).

It also appears you have no concrete plan of how you may fit in culturally, or even figuratively - you don't speak the language; you don't have a sponsor that can guide you through the difficulties.

I must admit, I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, but I fail to see how you can realistically make this work. There's something missing - whether that is something you're not telling us, or perhaps you are ignorant of yourself.

Your enthusiasm for Thailand appears single-minded. I really don't want to say that you can't think of a better idea, but the best of luck to you.

Granted I don't know what your personal finances are, nor your love life (and I hasten to add - I don't want to know), but I think I can fairly safely base a few assumptions on your above statement.

And in the spirit of helpfulness I'd like to comment too.

1 - line up a paramour before you decide on a provincial Thai town, she will have one already.

2 - put aside a chuck of money and get Cowboy/Nana/Pattaya etc out of your system already, a month of full on mongering should do it.

3 - return to Cowboy/Nana/Pattaya etc occasionally for visits.

4 - see (1)

It also appears you have no concrete plan of how you may fit in culturally, or even figuratively - you don't speak the language; you don't have a sponsor that can guide you through the difficulties.

See (1)

I must admit, I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, but I fail to see how you can realistically make this work. There's something missing - whether that is something you're not telling us, or perhaps you are ignorant of yourself.

Rhodes wouldn't have me, but I'm of the leap into the dark attitude. Just keep the ability to remain fluid and follow your heart, it's the sort of thing 20 year olds do and survive.

Your enthusiasm for Thailand appears single-minded. I really don't want to say that you can't think of a better idea, but the best of luck to you.

So is mine, better ideas are Australia/NZ, something tells me theses options are not options at all, but surrender to the grey waste.

JMHO

Everyone puts there hand into the fire to test if it is hot. Fortunate are they who get that second wind and see if there is a better life elsewhere.

Myself, I could not think of anywhere else but Asia to see if I could make a go at it. Fortunately, for us antipodeans (includes NZ's, as there is limited restrictions between the respective countries), our welfare system should take reasonable care of us if the shit hits the fan, and there is always still a job, if you really want, when you touch back down in God's country :beer:

PDS, you certainly arent the first board member to suggest that I dont know what I'm doing, and I accept that I dont have all the answers, particularly when it comes to my ability to stay out of the bars. Flash has suggested a solution, and its the obvious one - I wont go over old ground re my relationships, but I doubt that any of the regulars here have chosen wisely every time. In any case, even if its a complete bust, I'd take 3 fun years in the LOS over 10 here in Oz : plenty of time to sit around on the pension waiting to die.

Just a small addition, I wouldn't consider living in a village without a partner.

The pension doesn't mean waiting to die either Gobble, most of my income is derived from the pension and I have a lifestyle that turns the bowling club crowd green with envy.

Just a small addition, I wouldn't consider living in a village without a partner.

The pension doesn't mean waiting to die either Gobble, most of my income is derived from the pension and I have a lifestyle that turns the bowling club crowd green with envy.

Apols for the confusion, and I agree with you. I didnt mean 'pension' generically, I meant the Aged Pension given to folk over 65 in Oz, and I think that '65' number has gone up to 67. Its a pittance, and it means returning to Oz, but its what most of our aging population seems to end up on in one form or another. Even those with a house and what they *thought* would be enough for their old age usually end up on some form of government handout : I dont begrudge them that, but they fill long queues in front of the Lotto counter each and every week ...

The elephant in the room here is, as it always has been, what the hell do you do if the money runs out before you do ? Stick wrote a column about 'Blackie' recently which probably sent shivers up quite a few spines. Depending on how you read that piece, it was either a sad ending or a spectacular beginning : in any case, he didnt die wondering. We should all be so lucky.

Hi,

Blackie was a great character, but not one I would aspire to follow :)

When you move, find a hobby! Seriously, find something you enjoy doing (other than going out every night drinking :) ). If this involves interaction with other people, even better.

The reason for this is that without something to do you will likely end up in a bar drinking, or drinking at home. Getting a part-time job or doing volunteer work might help as well.

Sanuk!

Poor old Blackie was his own worst enemy. He went through a pile of money as if it had a "use by" date. He also threw away money with his registered web sites - turning down generous offers and then losing them when he couldn't even afford to renew them. Blackie belongs in a novel, not in real life. Consider him a prime example of what not to do. :p

p.s. But he could be a lot of fun to be with. :beer::rip:

Archived